Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Water purification systems

Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2008, 11:04
Hi,
Oh god, it's me again. I've given up on water filters long ago. They are heavy, tedious to use, rather unreliable and do not necessarily remove all pathogens.If you buy one check that it removes viruses. Also filters cannot handle dirty water as coarse suspended particles black the pores then as you force the pump the pressure can blow seals or burst cells so that water you believe to be treated is contaminated,

My preference is use water sterilising chemicals and in particular bromine though chlorine(bleaching powder) is just as good but causes strong taints. If you are averse to such flavours then german company market a silver based product claimed to be highly effect and free of taste. I recommend adding some drops of lemon or lime juice to remove taints and add some zest to my drink. Remember though that the addition of this or any drink powder stops the sterilisation process immediately so this must first be completed.

I should add that my principal beverage for rehydration is tea(hence my trail tag, "Teabags") that requires boiled water and in boiling the bromine is removed by volatilisation signalled by my camp site smelling like a hospital ward. This combination of chemicals and heat should just about kill any bug and in chill climes takes no longer that waiting to the chemical to do it's job in cold water. But of course take some extra fuel.

regards
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 8th Aug 2008, 14:29
Local Group: Mid Wales
Thanks John, That looks interesting, we have a few months yet before we need to make decisions. Its all in the planning at the mo!!!!
Author: John King
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 7:45
Hi Jane/Matt take a look here :-

http://www.bwtechnologies.com/bottle_water_filtration.html?gclid=CObuv5mc-5QCFROA1QodmlxLqg

enjoy your trip (we loved Aus )

John
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 6th Aug 2008, 9:27
Local Group: Mid Wales
Can any one give us some practical advice on water purification systems? We are off on a 2 month trip 'down under' next year and plan to do some 3 and 4/5 day treks in Tasmania and New Zealand. We thought we would get one good system and then use iodine or puritabs as a back up. Or would tablets be sufficient? Only got tickets yesterday and I couldn't sleep as I was so over-excited!!!!!! How old am I?!!!! Jane

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law