Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Appreciation

Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Fri 22nd Aug 2008, 10:43
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=gbbfpressrelease8

Maybe they'd like to donate a barrel for the 100 next year. Must find out how near the brewery is to the start/route.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 20th Aug 2008, 22:52
Local Group: Merseystride
Wow. Didn't know they had cameras then. (Garfield)
Posted: Wed 20th Aug 2008, 9:38
photos from Centurions -

http://brian-graves.fotopic.net/
Author: Keith Bassitt
Posted: Tue 19th Aug 2008, 21:51
Local Group: The Irregulars
John,
The photo cannot possibly be a bothy. Those are the Irregulars waiting to go in, so it must be a pub!
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 19th Aug 2008, 17:08
Thanks Merrian and congrat`s to the new Centurions, in fact well done all concerned, time keepers and everybody.

Must find time to peruse the results, Newmarket next year penciled in.

The LDWA Forums are a bit like long distance walking/running you go for long periods with just your own company and then somebody comes along for a chat, tis what keeps me going i guess.

Off out now for my post work jaunt
Have a nic evening
John
Posted: Tue 19th Aug 2008, 11:02
re - Centurions

25 started, including one who didn't know it was walkers only, so dropped out after 3 laps. 17 finished, 2 new Centurions from Netherlands, 3 from UK - Ian Richards (Steyning AC) 3rd in 19:37:11, Bob Austin (MKAC) 16th in 23:45:18, and Sean Pender (Enfield & Haringey) 17th in 23:56:11. Marcelino Sobczak (AV Unitas - Netherlands), 1st in 19:00:53, Sandra Brown 4th in 19:59:29.

Sunny and breezy during Saturday, chucked it down during the night, sunshine to finish. The lights on the track went out for about an hour and the lights in the lap recorders' "tent" went out for about half an hour. The "tent" wasn't designed to cope with such heavy rain, so at one point Jill Green was juggling head torch, pencil, soggy lap chart, umbrella and damp sleeping bag while trying to spot "her" competitors in the gloom going past the timer being illuminated by hand torches. Yes, it was fun, no, I didn't think to take a picture as I was busy using my walking pole to force the puddles off the tent. Dave Green looked pretty comfortable under a huge golfing umbrella.

Full results on MKAC website - http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/

Next opportunity in Newmarket, about the same weekend next year.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 18th Aug 2008, 19:54
Local Group: Mid Wales
It looks like a queue for the (outside) bog at the start of an event. Still much better than the previous piccy.
Yup, good weekend. Trolling round the Snowdon 7s, got our team of 4 round in 12 place out of 58 starters. And most important, we all had a great day out, consumed loads of post event beer (possibly a little too much!!) and the foul weather held off till after we finished.
Great to be back on the hills with nothing broken - only sore. Matt.
Posted: Mon 18th Aug 2008, 18:52
Now that picture of a BOTHY is loads better than the the biscuit tin house and the mass picket line or whatever it is that still haunt us, but couldn`t the pictures be a FOOter rather than a header to eliminate all the annoying Scrolling.

Hope you all had a nice weekend weather was not bad especially if out early doors, and i always think Rivers, becks and Waterfalls have so much more going for them when in spate.

How many more centurions are there now and when is the next opportunity for me to have a crack at becoming one ?

John
Posted: Fri 15th Aug 2008, 19:48
Good luck to all at MK on Sunday would happily pop in but the trip from Cumbria to MK is not really inviting so i guess i will just have to suffer the fells.

i do sincerely wish all aspiring centurions well though.

John
Posted: Fri 15th Aug 2008, 9:23
If you're at a loose end at 4 on Sunday morning, pop along to the track in MK to give support to those attempting to join the ranks (what's the Roman equivalent?) of the Centurions. I'll make you a cuppa, might even find you a biscuit.

Probably no owls, but the cows aren't far away.

Details are on http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/
Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2008, 19:56
Owls along with Bats are a couple of my favorite creatures, nothing i like better than my Early doors run with my dog (4-30 -5-30am) normally with the sound of owls around us and very little of the intrusive sounds created by people.

I am glad 4 or 5 hours kip is enough for me.

Finished work now till Monday and feel good so should get a few miles in.

Don`t forget to check out the local groups thread for Johns new Lancashire group. good luck John.
Posted: Wed 13th Aug 2008, 21:58
The owls outside my window keep me awake. Matt.
Posted: Wed 13th Aug 2008, 19:10
Nearly time for Harvest mites now they do keep me awake.

John
Posted: Tue 12th Aug 2008, 19:47
Rotten luck with the achillies Matt as to the hurting legs i find it hard to remember when mine didn`t.

Nettles, Thistles and Brambles in abundance, oddly enough i find that after the initial dose of stings then subsequent stings seem to have less effect, and i have never been kept awake by nettle stings, TICKS have been the most prevalent parasite for me this year, quite a dab hand at removing the little blighters now.

Oh the joys of the Great outdoors i love it beats the sofa hands down

I have also come to the conclusion that the only and by far the worst thing about our weather is having to listen to folk constantly twining and moaning about it.

It`s raining so what, put a waterproof on and get out and enjoy it is my reply, damned sight better than blazing sun and heat.

Have nice evening
John
Posted: Tue 12th Aug 2008, 15:18
Now you know why I never wear shorts when walking. This year has been bad for nettles etc on paths that are not used too often. I recently led a locall club walk (not LDWA) and two normally good paths were covered in nettles at the stiles and another over grown with a crop of beans.
David H
Author: Paul Sorensen
Posted: Tue 12th Aug 2008, 14:26
Local Group: Dorset
Yesterday I went out for a quick 15 miles, all was well until a bridleway near the end which was totally overgrown with stinging nettles. That's when I deeply regretted my decision to wear shorts! The stings were incredible, and made it difficult to sleep last night. I tried various remedies, but nothing worked.
Posted: Mon 11th Aug 2008, 21:28
Sunday I had my first attempt at a run (Aran Fawddy) on hills in 3 months - knackered achilles, it's a sod.

Today my legs hurt !!!
Posted: Mon 11th Aug 2008, 19:43
300 views and 20 posts hope you have all had a nice day i have.
john
Posted: Mon 11th Aug 2008, 7:52
that was a great weekend, perfect for being outdoors,no problems with dehydration,or getting the clothing right, great for navigation practice in the cloud, loads of mud to build leg strength, beats sun,heat and flies hands down IMO.

Moley tom`s run is an inspiration even for an old bloke like me, well done that man.

Paul i like your environmentally/pecuniary approach to training.

Right off for a run now last day of a five day break from work so best make the most of it.

John
Posted: Fri 8th Aug 2008, 21:26
Tom did 10 hrs 53 minutes.

That's (aprox) 120 miles cycling. 22 miles running. 15,000ft climbing.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=5127
Posted: Fri 8th Aug 2008, 18:04
A group of us were due to do the "N2S Wales thingy" tomorrow, but have just cancelled due to weather. Basically start penypass, run Snowdon, cycle to Dolgellau, run Cadair, cycle to nantymoch, run Pumlumon, cycle to Brecon run Penyfan and finish Storey Arms. Was decided that 120 miles of cycling in rain and 30mph headwind was just too much for us old codgers (+ the 4 principal peaks!).
Tom Gibbs, not so old, from S. Wales went for it today, trying to set a new record - sub 12 hour - (he holds the old record). I drove out and saw him cycle through Llangurig, quite awsome speed, very seriously fit as he had also run 3 ruddy mountains.
I am waiting to hear the result, good luck to him. Matt.
Author: Paul Sorensen
Posted: Fri 8th Aug 2008, 8:03
Local Group: Dorset
Seems this thread is for general banter, so thought I'd join in!
I've been trying to be a bit 'green' and have been walking to bus/cycling/running to work, which is 9 miles each way. Seems a good way to improve fitness, and save some petrol money too! Surprisingly I have not lost any weight, but then I end up so hungry that I start scoffing all the wrong food stuff.
I was planning on going up to the Lakes next week, but with the weather forecast not sure I'm going to bother, once in the cloud and heavy rain it's not much fun, can't see anything and could be anywhere really. I was hoping for some sunshine, fat chance I know!
Looking forward to the Across Wales Walk next month, hoping to put new found fitness to the test and run what I can, see if I can get round a bit quicker.
I'm still getting used to the new website, but seems good so far.
Paul
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 13:28
I've been for a curry and large Bangla beer. Perfect training. Did walk there and back though.
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 11:20
It will be interesting to see how the Wessex 100 forum develops.

Right i am off for a run now, sorry not to say a walk but my preference when training is for a slightly quicker form of perambulation, which from my observations of the quicker LDWA members brings me closer to there walking pace.

John
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 11:14
Funny how we feel a need to clarify everything we say, i am now a member of both thank you.

John
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 10:53
My comment about access to the forum, relates to the LDWA forum, not the W100 forum.
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 10:42
It was mentioned on page 3 of Strider.

http://www.wessex100.org.uk/

I don't think non-members have access to the forum, so the content couldn't deter them from joining the LDWA. The fact that they can't access the forum might though.
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 8:54
OK i give up Where`s the WESSEX 100 Forum? please.

John
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 8:45
Sorry not found the wessex hundred forum yet (wasting to much time airing my thought`s) hopefully see you on the 100 though.

Yes the clock is wrong, Dare i say behind the times :-)

Have a great day all

John
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 8:42
That`s my point Merrian plenty of Banter on the events, and great company, what puzzles me is that it doe`s not seem to carry over to the Forum which i see as as shop window for Potential Members, a place for people to ask questions and get a fell for the Association, as well as a place for folk to be able to communicate with distant friends that have been made probably during an event.

You mention the FRA website which you probably Know i use (I am also a member of the FRA) but i fell that the difference there is that despite the use of Pseudonyms a lot of the folk know one another from the events etc, hence the open expansive often enlightening discussions that take place, often mixed in with a lot of humour, and because of that newcomers feel at ease to join in and ask advice and questions because the feel of the forum is a lot more relaxed, than our LDWA forum.

Again i am not Knocking either the LDWA Forum, But i do Feel that we as Members could do a lot to ensure a strong future for our Association by Lightening up our approach to the forum and make it a more welcoming place for new potential new members, or maybe a large number of LDWA members do not wish to attract too many new (maybe Younger members) with fresh ideas into the association. surely not we are not an Association of Dinosaurs are we?

Best add a disclaimer, no offence meant to anybody or anything just my thoughts.

John
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 8:31
... and finally, I haven't seen any of you regulars over on the Wessex 100 forum.
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 8:00
Is the clock wrong? The time of my previous post says 7:56, my watch says it's nearly 9 o'clock.
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2008, 7:56
I don’t think silence implies that our members are miserable. On the other hand, I’m not silent and everyone knows I’m pretty miserable, if only moaning was an Olympic event.

I did Poppyline at the weekend. If I’d spent less time nattering at the start (had to start late because I’d been talking so much), on the way round, at checkpoints and in the pubs, maybe I’d have got round faster, but I don’t care.

About 15 were out on an Essex & Herts walk yesterday, and we all know how friendly they are.

About 15 BBN folk are out walking today. I hope the leader has reccied it well because I know the rest of them won’t have a clue where they are because they’ll be talking too much.

Nearly every day I exchange emails, and sometimes photos, with fellow walkers.

I wouldn’t worry that we don’t have as many posts as the FRA forums. The tool is there for folk to use if it suits them.

I spoke to a colleague about the LDWA last week, he joined on Friday, had his joining pack on Saturday and is looking forward to his first walk. He’s impressed.
Posted: Wed 6th Aug 2008, 19:43
24+ hrs 66 views and 2 reply` s looking like we are an Association made up of a silent majority which as Matt (hi matt i trust all is well with you ) point`s out is not evident on the walks.

Shame really because i figure to a casual observer (potential member) the impression they would get is that we are miserable bunch (which we know is not the case) and probably decide to look elsewhere.
Posted: Wed 6th Aug 2008, 18:16
Hi Jim great that the new Forum has brought you out into the open to air your views, so which walks are taking your fancy?
come on lurkers we would welcome all your contributions, ideas and input.

Must dash catch you later
JohnK
Author: Jim Hodgson
Posted: Wed 6th Aug 2008, 0:13
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I think the website is great but I wonder if having a large image of anything at the top of the page is a good idea. It means I have to scroll down on every page I look at which is annoying. Losing the picture would perhaps enable all of the text to fit on screen at once.
I hope this is constructive, this forum has lured me out of lurking without participating, now I only need to be lured into walking again and not spending so much time on the web!
Posted: Tue 5th Aug 2008, 20:39
Agree totally with JK. I know many look in but never post, some of them must have something to say - they usually do when on walks! Matt.
Posted: Tue 5th Aug 2008, 19:22
I think it would be nice if we were to show our appreciation for the effort that Reg and no doubt others have put in trying to bring the LDWA website up to date, by dare i suggest using the forums to generate a few more up to date and interesting topics that may also be of interest to potential members, maybe.

For my part i will not repeat my comments of last year, but it would be great to see a multitude of new names and fresh topics on the forum i may even suggest that a little light hearted banter would not go amiss now the previous staid web pages are gone.

By the way i still don`t like the chocolate box thatched house on the front page.

Why not have something like a Distinctive Stile, or rock formation or whatever, that changes once a month or something, giving folk the opportunity to guess the location with Grid reference etc, and awarding points for a twelve month period, just for a bit of fun and interest.

Neither do i like the image for the forum, far to crowded and busy, maybe something simple for example a nice picturesque bothy which would IMO be representative of what the page is about. i.e. a place of refuge or rest with like minded folk.

Don`t get me wrong i am not Knocking the new website i reckon it is a great step forward and when finished it will be an asset to the Association.

So lets maybe be seen to use it.
All the best
JohnK

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law