Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Health Question

Author: Paul Sorensen
Posted: Mon 14th Jul 2008, 13:46
Local Group: Dorset
Many thanks for the advice. I too tend to push hard into a checkpoint, and especially into the finish, so I think next time I will finish and then go for a 'stroll' round event HQ to relax a bit before resting to see if that helps.My dear wife wonders why I put myself through this, but we all know the great experiences we have through our eventing, but that's a totally different thread!

Paul
Author: Jeff Treadway
Posted: Sat 12th Jul 2008, 16:44
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
There was an article in Strider by Reg Kingston a while ago that mentioned this problem and I've pasted the relevant paragraph here.

A common, but ill understood, condition which I have frequently seen at the Breakfast Stop is known medically as 'Dumping Syndrome'. It arises when highly osmotic fluid, such as sweet tea, passes rapidly from the stomach into the small intestines. This draws fluid into the intestines, causing a rapid increase in the blood flow to the intestines and lowers the walker's blood pressure. The walker feels wretched, nauseated, sweats profusely and may collapse or become disorientated. Initially it may be confused with a 'heart attack' or some other serious problem. Fortunately it responds to lying flat and rest. Normally the walker recovers within 30 minutes often feeling refreshed! Many walkers will have experienced to some degree this condition, often feeling hot, sweaty, nauseous and oxygen starved. Putting it down to the hot room many, walkers go outside to cool down. I experienced a Dumping attack after taking a mug of hot sweet tea on completing the North Yorkshire Crosses Walk. Realising what was about to happen to me I reached the First Aid room and lay down before passing out.

This has happened to me at or around the breakfast stop on my last three or four hundreds and happened after finishing the Surrey Tops. It doesn't seem to be connected to dehydration, energy depletion or to drinking tea but I believe it's due to pushing it before the cp. I keep forgetting to take it easy before arriving at a cp as they're usually after a descent.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Thu 10th Jul 2008, 18:08
Local Group: High Peak
maybe worth carrying some dyralite with you to put back the salts you lose
i've used gels they're good but can workout expensive on a long walk as you are supposed to take one every 2hrs
Posted: Thu 10th Jul 2008, 8:00
I've been told that quite a few people have suffered similar symptoms. After a 50 mile event last year I was taken ill while having a shower. I managed to get to my car but was sick a couple of times, feeling very faint and dizzy, and it took some hours to pass. I've always tried to keep up a good fluid intake, but had thought that dehydration may be a cause. I have heard of high energy gels that ultra athletes use and wondered if anyone had any experience of them, and if they help maintain a correct balance in bodies chemistry?
Paul
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 9th Jul 2008, 17:42
Local Group: High Peak
i had something similar years ago after the wendsley dale wander. I couldn't eat felt faint and went to the loo to sit down in quiet and rest, tried to nibble on a mars bar which was a struggle then i emptied my bowels (sorry to be so graffic)and felt 100 times better, got up too late to eat my meal and went to the pub for dinner, turnned out to be a form of dehydration linked to constipation although i didn't feel constipated
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Mon 7th Jul 2008, 13:18
I occasionally have the same problem, but not exclusively at the end of an event - quite often at about the 40 mile point, after stopping/sitting down at a CP. (It's happened to me 3 separate times at Fleet Moss CP) Someone told me it's due to 'blood pooling' and is basically the same phenomena as if you did, say, 30min hard running and then stopped without 'warming down', but it occurs at a lower intensity of exercise on long events, once significant time-on-feet has elapsed. So, if it only occurs post-event for you, the answer might be slowing down for the last 5/10 min coming up to the finish (or else doing a 'slow' few hundred yards extra after you finish but before you stop).
Posted: Mon 7th Jul 2008, 12:56
Hi to all,
Now I enjoy a good walk, and have completed a number of 100's and various other 50/60 mile events, the most recent the Holy Hobble last weekend. I am getting fed up at missing the meal at the finish! The reason is that once I get to the finish and sit down, within minutes I often feel very faint, needing to lie down with my feet raised. This can then last just a few minutes, or up to an hour. I am totally unable to eat, often struggling to my car where I rest a while longer. I will then feel better and be able to make my way home, but on an empty stomach!
I have heard of others suffering similar problems and wondered if anyone out there has a solution to suggest? I have tried internet searches which have come up with ideas about keeping shoes on so that feet don't suddenly swell drawing fluid from elsewhere in the body, and checks for blood pressure etc. I have checked blood pressure with doctor and all OK, but perhaps it's low at completion of event, but why not when I stop to sit at a checkpoint en-route?
Would love to hear any ideas on things to try
Thanks,
Paul

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law