Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - HOLY HOBBLE

Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Wed 9th Jul 2008, 20:28
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
Yes, many thanks to the organisers for a very enjoyable walk. The food and support was excellent, the route description very precise and there was good walking weather (at least for those of us who got in fairly early on). My only criticism is that Beds, Bucks and Northants could do with a few more hills, but I suppose we can't expect even such experienced event organisers to redesign the geography of the area!

I too saw the grass snake - a very fine one and the first that I have seen for some years.

No problems with sore feet but I did suffer from rather a lot of 'darts' from the wheat and long grass getting embedded in my socks and torturing my feet!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 8th Jul 2008, 21:32
Local Group: Marches
I hope that wasn't the same barn owl we saw dead in the road - its awful how beautiful creatures like this succombe to cars. I checked it out but it was definately a gonner.

Quite relieved to learn that other people had sore feet - I had vitually convinced myself that my 100K days were over but perhaps I'm being a bit hard on myself. Just about recovered and looking forward to 'a foot in 2 dales' in 2 weeks time!
Author: Paul Sorensen
Posted: Mon 7th Jul 2008, 12:42
Local Group: Dorset
A beautiful walk, passing through some lovely villages on a stunning bright sunny day! How many saw the grass snake sunning itself by the path, plus I walked right by a badger, and was also lucky enough to see a large barn owl later in the walk too. The checkpoint staff were wonderful, all offering ample food and encouragement. My thanks to them all.
I too suffered from sore feet, mainly cause on the field edges on the approach to Harrold, but I thoroughly enjoyed the walk.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Sun 6th Jul 2008, 21:30
Local Group: Dorset
I agree completely with Rebecca. My thanks to all those great people from BBN for putting on such a superb event.

Rebecca, I saw a lot of very sore feet, and think it was due to the hard ground and the effects of rough field edges.

It is a bit of pity that the event did not have a few more entrants (I know the organisers hoped for, and could have taken more) but all of those who entered and did do the HOLY HOBBLE, had a rare chance to walk a wonderful 100K in a part of rural England that is often overlooked. And congratulations to the people I finished with (Dee and Gordon) for great first time attempt at the distance - Well done kids.

mike
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sun 6th Jul 2008, 20:53
Local Group: Marches
Many thanks to the BBN group and all their helpers for staging this fantastic event. Despite the weather reports we were very lucky and only had minor showers. We'd never walked in this area before and the event was a great introduction to the beautiful villages and scenery this area has to offer with the added historical interest (10th century churches etc)

Food and organisation were second to none and everyone was very cheerful which certainly kept my spirits up when the event became hobble by name - hobble by nature when my old enemy the blister returned with vengence making the last 10m rather an ordeal - still didn't distract from what was a fantastic event with many great moments.

BIG THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law