Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - YHAs

Author: Kevin McCann
Posted: Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 17:44
Local Group: Wessex
It’s quite bizarre that, in effect, the YHA are turning away bookings when they must surely know they have capacity. When we walked the Pennine Way we came across Hostels not turning on drying rooms, not supplying promised towels and as previously mentioned claiming hostels were full when this wasn’t the case.

It’s almost as if they were deliberately driving business away to use poor uptake to as an excuse for closure...
Author: Jill King
Posted: Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 19:44
Local Group: North Yorkshire
A general comment about booking hostels. you need to contact the individual hostel as Central Booking will often say the hostel is full and it isn't. We've just come back from staying at Black Sail - no water so no showers and no reduction on overnight fees! Nevertheless a great hostel that will become independant at the end of this year. You will need to carry in all your food and take away all the rubbish.
The first night we stayed there, 5 of us were in yet the next day we met a guy who had tried through central booking to stay and there was no way it was full.
Posted: Sat 26th Apr 2008, 9:45
A word of caution. I used independant hostels last year in Scotland and while some are excellent, others are no where near SYHA standards and the behavior of some the clients leaves a lot to be desired. Mixed dorms and facilitys seems the norm as does putting as much Ale down your throat as pos. Prices are slightly lower but not by much for what you get. So take care.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 21st Apr 2008, 18:15
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
And yes- i was unable to use Patterdales hostel on the Sunday after the Spring in Lakeland event. not even just to get a cuppa/shower after the challenge walk! Because a school group had booked it. And there were only 2 mini buses in the car park so it was not full.I felt like just waltzing in anyway and helping myself, I was that annoyed!
Posted: Mon 21st Apr 2008, 18:11
yes I have used the Backpackers Hostel in Ambleside and found it to be adequate. There aren't enough of them though. I join the Scottish YHA now as it is nearly half the price of the English annual fee and you can have life membership for just £80! And can be used internationally and nationally.I am thinking of taking life membership when my next subscription is due- if they haven't put it up! B/bs are nearly as cheap these days depending on hte areas - but i like the flexibility of having a self catering kitchen even if very basic and delapidated like Patterdales.
Author: Paul Sorensen
Posted: Mon 21st Apr 2008, 10:42
Local Group: Dorset
I have enjoyed several YHA's in the Lakes, my favourite being Black Sail. BUT, the area YHA's are getting very difficult to book because of school groups taking the entire hostel, even leaving free rooms, but not letting other 'members' use them. For the last two years I have used the Backpackers Hostel in Ambleside which I have found to be very good value for money, clean and comfortable, with unlimited free tea/coffee and light breakfast included. The Ambleside YHA is overly expensive, and cannot provide the same level of individual service. As a Life Member of the YHA I find all this very sad, but to me the YHA has lost its way, and Backpackers Hostels keep the cheap, comfortable hostel ideal very much alive.
Posted: Fri 11th Apr 2008, 22:16
A lot of us use the Youth hostels for a stop over for walks/Challenge Events. Maybe we can share views on the standard of hostels we have stayed in?
I stayed at YHA Patterdale in order to do the Spring in Lakeland event. Summary- a friendly hostel. great food.Unisex showers that were hot but the shower room themselves cold and a bit grubby.the kitchen is ancient and the oven door CANNOT be opened.BUT plenty of hot water for tea on supply by one of those electric hot water thingys.( no not a kettle). Lovely comfy leather sofas which if you can't sleep because of a snorer are probably great for sleeping on.Money needs to be spend on the showers and kitchen but good lounge and large dorms. I recommend.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law