Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - GR10 advice

Author: Beverley D'Arcy
Posted: Sat 31st May 2014, 14:53
Local Group: The Irregulars
I am a 60 yr old female and have done stage 1 of the GR10 with a friend and I would like to continue on preferably Sept this year. I can do a two week stretch as I'm still working but would prefer company. Get in touch if you are interested! email bevdarcy@hotmail.com
Posted: Tue 11th Mar 2014, 17:35
I posted about the GR10 last December. Now that spring has sprung my ambition to hike the GR10 this year from about the middle of August onwards is getting stronger by the day. I am interested in teaming up with others who who are feeling the same urge. I have a few hikes planned in the meantime including a re-hike of the Tour du Mont Blanc in July, (going clockwise) then plan to be at home for a couple or three weeks and if all goes well, off to Hendaye!
Posted: Sun 23rd Feb 2014, 2:25
I have done the GR10 3 times end to end in last 12 years. I walked alone and carried a tent though only had to use it twice outside the Ariege. For me it is an incredible walk and a good way to loose weight! I would be happy to provide any information and help any members. This is the first time I have ever tried to do a post. and am a new member
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 20:40
Hi, new member male, retired, 61, have long standing ambition to do GR10, and this the year! Interested in joining with small group to share experience. Have walked in lakes, Scotland, C to C, TMB.
grenvillehs@btinternet.com
Posted: Sat 14th Dec 2013, 17:22
I'm a new member, 69 next year and still hiking and camping. Did the Tour du Mont Blanc and the Stevenson Trail in the summer, enjoyed them both very much. The weather was always hot and sunny. My ambition is to walk the GR10 in 2014. Chickened out for the past 3 years, not sure if I could cope with about 50 nights in a tent. I normally walk alone but would be happy to join a small group who may be planning it already.
Author: Jeremy Corke
Posted: Fri 15th Feb 2013, 11:14
Local Group: Bristol & West
When do you plan to travel to do the GR10, and for what duration?
I have never done the GR 10, but have done the GR 5 and the Haute Route, for the last 3 years.
I'm currently considering a 9 day trek at end of June/early July, and would plan to walk circa 9 hours a day.
Jeremy Corke
jeremycorke@btconnect.com
Author: Clive Stephens
Posted: Mon 28th Jan 2013, 12:55
Local Group: Wiltshire
I'm contemplating walking the GR10. Is there anyone else in the Association planning to do this route who would welcome company or anyone who has completed it recently and could offer advice on timing, navigation, accommodation, overall schedule etc.
Author: Gordon Stone
Posted: Sat 23rd Apr 2011, 12:33
Local Group: East Lancashire
Michael,
Sorry for taking so long to post - been busy doing my teacher training.
Last summer I completed my GR10 and only used my tent from necessity once (twice if I count my first night at Hendaye but that could be overcome by adjusting the start schedule, getting an early morning train to Hendaye).
The Ariege is where you may need it - I dispensed with mine for the final two weeks (staying at Gary & Debbie Devine's b&b near Ax-les-Thermes). Although it would save some money if you plan to arrive in Banyuls at the height of the holiday season.
Have a look at my blog http://gordonsgr10.blogspot.com/ for further advice and you may wish to download my book from www.soulfulhorwich.org.uk/gr10.html - lots of good tips in it as well as 300 photos.
There would have been an article in Strider but there's been quite a bit on the Pyrenees recently.

Regards

Gordon Stone
Author: Michael Connolly
Posted: Tue 18th Jan 2011, 14:18
Local Group: Merseystride
I will be walking the GR10 in june/july this year and would appreciate any advice re kit. In particular is it essential to carry a tent ?. I have previously carried a tent etc but used it infrequenly. On this occasion the question of weight is obviously critical.
Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Thu 1st Jan 2009, 14:59
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
I did most of the GR10 back in September 1978 but many aspects will have changed beyond recognition by now. There were few gites or refuges in those days - we didn't carry a tent or stove but in the villages we often stayed in cheap French hotels (most villages had a small pension or two that always seemed to have room) and on the remote stretches we generally managed to find a cowshed (not really recommended). We were almost broke and more or less lived on French bread and cheese though as an occasional treat had a can of cold baked beans and on one occasion a can of tripe.

The GR10 route, which I don't think has changed much, was pleasant, though a bit frustrating in that it omitted the tops although there were unending ups and downs over the ridges that extend north from the main Pyrenees. Many days involved a 3000ft ascent in the morning before dropping down ready for another 3000ft ascent after lunch to drop down again for the evening. Although September, it was oppressively hot in the middle of the day making the afternoon climb quite exhausting (I expect June may be similar). We tended to have a long siesta at lunch time. Except for the first day (at the west end) we had no rain at all.

Even back in 1978 the path was generally good and the red-white waymarks easy to follow (except where the path had been diverted and the old marks not very well obliterated!). We wore boots but from my recollection light walking shoes or trainers (which probably hadn't been invented then!) would have been perfectly adequate. A few parts were a bit rocky including the gorge sections but in the main it was fairly easy underfoot. My only advice on rucksacks would be keep it all as light as possible - it makes a big difference when walking day after day with a lot of ascent in very hot weather.

Anyway, good luck to you ...

... and a Happy New Year to everyone
Author: Stuart Dodson
Posted: Wed 31st Dec 2008, 20:18
Local Group: Lincolnshire
I did the GR5 Geneva to Nice in 2005,used trainers ,Go lite Breeze pack and Go lite tarp .Rarely used the refuges because of snoring ,some useful for supplies.Heatwave mostly tho some snow near Val d'Isere.Travel light!I used a meths pop can stove mostly for breakfasts as supplies and meals were pretty easy to get each day.
Author: Gordon Stone
Posted: Mon 31st Mar 2008, 19:05
Local Group: East Lancashire
Apologies if there is already a topic on this somewhere. I thought I had seen something a few months ago but cannot find anything now.
I'm planning to walk the GR10 (French Pyrenees Coast to Coast) next year (starting mid June) so am now in the serious planning stage so I can get some rehearsal walks with similar size packs this Summer.

Although never having attempted anything similar, I am relatively fit having completed a number of long fell races each year for the past 20+ years and also walked (and raced) in the Pyrenees on a number of occasions. If there is anyone who has recent (or partial) completion of the GR10 or similar, I would be grateful for their advice. In particular I am looking to make a decision on choice of rucksack and whether to replace my ageing boots or stick to lighter shoes (for which I have seen a number of discussions elsewhere).

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law