Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Coast to Coast

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Thu 15th May 2008, 18:48
Local Group: Heart of England
I forgot to mention that we got to St Bees by train, then at the end we got a bus to Scarborough and train back to Coventry. The worst bit was the bus. After walking for 2 weeks, the speed of the bus was awful and we all felt sick! I bought t-shirts for everyone in Robin Hoods Bay and it was great wearing them on the journey back - a proud moment.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Thu 15th May 2008, 18:34
Local Group: Heart of England
Coast to coast is a spectacular route. I did it in July 1999 as a school expedition with 12 students. We backpacked and camped the whole way and took 2 weeks. We took the high level route wherever possible, though we had a fairly hair-raising experience on the Helvelyn ridge when the wind whipped up and made balancing with backpacks difficult.
I did not book any campsites and had no problems just turning up even with this number of people. We had a variety of sites - a couple of wild ones in the lakes (Grisedale Tarn and Haweswater), pub gardens, basic farm sites and a posh one in Reeth.
The time scale meant that we were able to enjoy the views and the wildlife (golden eagle on the descent to Haweswater!), and also to enjoy diversions along the way, eg Shap Abbey and the swimming pool in Shap.
We ate in pubs/cafes wherever possible - the most memorable meals were an all-day breakfast in Grasmere at 3.00 pm, fish and chips for lunch in Shap and a second breakfast in Lord's Stone Cafe on the Cleveland Way.
The weather was varied - started and finished in hot sunny weather, mist and low cloud with some heavy rain in the middle. The midges were only bad on a couple of evenings.
For the students it was an amazing experience and a major achievement, especially for those with terrible blisters, stomach upsets and shoulder/hip sores. They all made it, even the girl who finished with 'space' boots, ie more duck tape than leather!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 13th May 2008, 22:04
Local Group: Lakeland
Black Sail is currently closed for refurbishment. - believe it will remain closed for quite a time. If Coasters can manage another 6 miles further down the valley they will reach Ennerdale hostel which was refurbished last winter and is superb. Excellent food, beer & wine available and wonderful views of Pillar and Steeple ridge.
Author: Catharine Gregory
Posted: Tue 13th May 2008, 15:40
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hi Andy,

I did C2C with my sister in August 2006. We stayed in a mixture of hostels, bunkbarns and B&Bs, booking the accommodation just a couple of weeks in advance. We also let the Sherpa Van service take the strain rather than our backs! I know some people think that's cheating but it's pretty useful if you don't want to carry all your stuff.

We did it in 9 days and I would say that was actually too fast, not that LDWA members aren't up to it but rather that we missed the point: allow yourself some extra days to enjoy the places you pass through - you can always do some extra walks if you have excess energy. We walked from Grasmere to Shap in a day and I think we should have split that!

Places worth staying in include:
Black Sail Hut - legendary YHA establishment (you can easily walk here in one day from St Bees).
East Applegarth Farm, near Richmond - this is a deluxe bunkhouse and much better than any other we stayed in.
The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge - note that there is no other accommodation here, despite what you might read - this pub has rooms and allows campers in its garden.

At Robin Hood's Bay, make sure you stay in the bay as you will want to! We stayed at Boggle Hole but then met lots of other 'Coasties' who had just finished the walk and we wanted to celebrate with them in Robin Hood's Bay rather than go back to the hostel. Yes, it's only a 2-3 mile walk but will you really want to do that in the dark?

In terms of getting there and away, unless you have a dedicated driver, the best option we came up with was to drive to Kirkby Stephen, leave the car there, catch the train to Carlisle and then onto St Bees, walk to Robin Hood's Bay and then use one of the minibus services to get back to Kirkby Stephen.

Good luck with it all.

Catharine
Author: Nicky Wood
Posted: Fri 9th May 2008, 22:16
Local Group: Lakeland
Hi, I also walked the Coast to Coast in the Summer (end July to mid August) and it was great because you get all the heather in bloom, especially when you get over to the North York Moors.

I don't think the heat will be a deterent but of course carry more water at that time of the year. On most days you will be within reach of a refill of water within about six miles or so, just one or two of the days its about ten miles to the next water stop.

I'm in the Lake District, so if you need any info about this end of the path, post me another question. It's a brilliant route and is ultimately the reason I now live in the Lakes so I am very fond of it!! Very sociable along the way. My top tip would be that the hardest day is through from Patterdale to Shap, get a good start that day to climb before it gets hot would be my advice, and avoid the high level route the day before (over St Sundays Cragg) to conserve energy levels if you are in any doubt about your fitness levels. Grasmere to Patterdale by the Grizedale Tarn Col is quite a gentle up and over and that's quite useful if you are carrying a pack. Come back anc climb the peaks when you don't have the kitchen sink on board.
Posted: Thu 14th Feb 2008, 6:43
Hi all I'm a newbie here and am planning to do the coast to coast (from st bees to robin hoods bay) on July 4th 2008 can any one see any problems with doing it that time of year? I dont mind if its busy I was just thinking of the heat!

If any one else is going around that time let me know ya never know might up with yous and have a beer or glass of wine whatever tickles your fancy!! ladies welcome :) :)

Andy

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law