Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Anglezarke Amble, 9th February 2008

Author: Doreen Viney
Posted: Thu 14th Feb 2008, 16:49
Local Group: West Lancashire
It was 82 entries on the day, not 97, and about one third of walkers opted for the shorter route. It goes to show that there is a real need for this sort of distance in events. It is good to see that numbers on early events, certainly in this part of the Uk, have really picked up ths year.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 13th Feb 2008, 22:21
Local Group: Merseystride
Nick,
By 'worrying' I was referring to the possibility that the fine weather was really the result of climate change.

I too took some pics. If you'd like to send me some, I'll put a page in the new version of the Annexe which is released at Easter. zip 'em up and send to garfield.southall@btinternet.com

Same for anyone else with any good pics from any event.

Garfield
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Wed 13th Feb 2008, 12:25
Local Group: South Manchester
Oh yes, the whole thing was a delight from beginning to end. A hearty thank you to all the organisers, helpers, marshals, volunteers, ....

I'm not sure I agree with the weather being worrying, though. It was my ninth consecutive completion of this event and probably the best weather of all. I loved it. I even took some pictures as I ran round the long route, to capture the spring-like views. Any takers for public showing on-line somewhere?

Nick.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 10th Feb 2008, 22:57
Local Group: Merseystride
This long-standing event usually attracts a large entry, but this year seems to have broken all records. Well over 400 entrants enjoyed fabulous weather - a welcome (if slightly worrying) change from the snow, mist & rain that have accompanied previous years.

The 24-mile route is a classic; the initial steep climb up to Rivington Pike, crossing the moors on Winter Hill, the long run down to Belmont, boggy fields to Entwistle, the long ascent to Darwen Tower and the final traversal of spring-riddled Great Hill.

The checkpoints offered the usual array of mouth-watering yummies, tea and encouraging smiles and Raynet were kept hard at work with so many people on both routes.

A few points to take away :- The alternative 16-mile route was very popular - around half the entrants chose this option. It is good to see many events are now providing shorter routes. Also, 97 people entered on the day! - clearly encouraged by the weather, but what a strain on resources.

Well done everybody !

Garfield

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law