Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - What Tent?

Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Mon 14th Jan 2008, 8:39
We used a Terra Nova Voyager for more years than I care to remember, and it was excellent. We now use a Macpac 'Nautilus' which we bought in NZ (much cheaper than it would have been here, of course!) and this is also excellent - slightly heavier than many 'ultralight' tents but just the job for prolonged use. It has a better spec. ground sheet so can be pitched on boggy ground without causing a wet night and it's also stronger when faced with NZ's native shrubbery. You also pitch the inner & outer together, so is good if you have to pitch in a downpour.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sun 13th Jan 2008, 18:58
Local Group: Marches
Have been using the Terra Nova Voyager for a number of years - and see there is a new superlite version.Mine has survived everything weather could throw at it - last year I used it every month of the year and stayed warm dry aand comfortable - my only gripe is that the porch is quite small so if you are trying to store 2 backpacking rucsacs, wet boots and you are cooking its a bit tight to say the least. My old mountain equipment tent (destroyed by son at "event") had small porch at rear for rucsac and boots and plenty of room in front for cooking.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 12th Jan 2008, 9:54
Local Group: Mid Wales
We need a backpacking tent! Jane and I are planning trip to New Zealand and Tasmania in 12 months time and will do a few trails etc. What we are looking for is suitable for 3 season work - both there and UK - so expect strong wind & rain, but not planning to camp in winter or above the snow line stuff. Also for use in UK this year to 'practise', probably only 2 -3 nights at a time, not weeks on a long trail (yet), but don't want truly cramped 'competition' style tents.
Ideally sleep 2 + porch room to store sacs and cook in. Trying to keep weight around 21/2k and price £300 max (discount price). Is this feasible?
Thinking of Terra Nova Laser large 1 or 2 - mixed reviews from rubbish to fantastic (so which is it?). Or the Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2XT.
Appreciate any advice, even if it's what NOT to buy and why. Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law