Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - EVENTS CO-ORDINATOR

Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sat 24th Nov 2007, 16:03
Local Group: Surrey
All the events that have been notified to me are put on the events calendar immediately. Delete the default date that appears when you open the events calendar and refresh your browser window and everything that is on the calendar will appear.

For existing events, the organisers know what other events usually clash and it is up to them to liase with the organisers if that causes a problem. Also, some of the longer events aren't run by LDWA groups so we can't start telling them when to hold their events.

For new events, or one-offs, I hope that the organisers would take a look at the calendar and try to avoid existing events. I know that a lot liaison went on with organisers of existing 50's to ensure that the Holy Hobble doesn't clash with another long event next year.
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 10:52
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Actually that is a good idea Elton. Have a page on here where we can view future annual/biannual 50 mile events. But not so obscure please! I have to resort to my Strider to find these events and then look at my weekend working calendar (at work). I don't always have my Strider on me but have access to the pc day and night. Having it all on here would make it easier.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 17th Oct 2007, 15:31
Rebecca is right - the longer Challenges have a smaller customer base, and it is self defeating to have two on the same weekend. Sure, nobody plans it to be like this, but that is the problem - nobody plans it not to be like this. A month apart would be ideal, 2 weeks absolute minimum, back to back too close (for me anyway). Fiona has a point about time of year, but personally I'd rather walk a few hours longer in the dark (night walking is half the fun anyway) and the slush than not have the opportunity of doing a 50 or 100k at all. Maybe we could have a subpage in some obscure corner of the website where group events coordinators could post details of events over 40 miles so other coordinators could see, absorb and accommodate.
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sun 7th Oct 2007, 13:05
Rebecca, looks like you've found a job for yourself!

Whilst it is perhaps unfortunate that the events clash, in reality it is quite a difficult time to fit long events in. Too early in March and the clocks haven't changed to BST so it gets dark early; Easter is early next year; the Surrey Tops is the last w/e in MArch (and we don't want any clashes with that!); early April can be a difficult time because the way Easter moves around the calendar makes it difficult to stick to one w/e year in year out; the Peatlands Way is on 12/13th and that is a similar area as the Woldsman so they mustn't clash; the first (BH) w/e in May is the 100 Marshall's walk; then it's the Fellsman w/e; and then it's the w/e before the 100, and too late for a qualifier anyway.

There are some unfortunate clashes at the shorter distances, but it has to be up to the groups concerned to get in contact with each other if they feel that there is direct competition that is affecting their numbers. It does happen - the Ridgeway 40 and Oxon 40 were always on the same day until the organisers agreed to split them up this year (with nuetral impact on numbers on each event, I'm told); and the Vermuyden Group have arranged the Elsecar Skelter next year so that it doesn't clash with the Hanging Stone Leap (I think).
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 17th Sep 2007, 13:27
Local Group: Marches
Looking in the latest strider I noticed that the wellington boot 100k clashes with the woldsman 50m in April. Both fantastic events, and both I would have definately entered, even if they were on back to back weekends. Unfortunately I am now going to have to choose between them.

There aren't that many >50m events around, so it is such a a shame that there isn't some co-orination so these bigger events do not clash with each other.

Perhaps the LDWA could have a co-ordinator who could make sure that big events don't clash and other smaller events don't clash with other local walks / runs?

It seems so illogical to me to have the woldsman and the wellington on the same weekend

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law