Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Open To Offas, September 15th 2007

Author: Michael Skuse
Posted: Mon 17th Sep 2007, 11:41
Local Group: Merseystride
Another Open to Offas, as well organised as the others. Good food, especially little chocolate squares by Chris. Just when I thought I was past all this stuff, along comes Dave Kearns and drags me round (again). Mind you, the hills are getting higher. Thanks, Merseystriders
Mike Skuse 14987
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 17th Sep 2007, 11:28
Local Group: Merseystride
A beautiful day, perfect conditions. Feeling good and we’re off to a quick start. As usual the runners are gone in a puff of smoke.

It’s a hard route, 6300 ft ascent over the 30 miles - but it has wonderful scenery. The well-stocked food points are evenly spaced throughout the route and, as usual for this event, the support is superb.

I did well until Moel Famau (11 miles) and cramp started to hit my quads. I struggled slowly for the next 6 miles, by which time it had become so painful and locked on every stile crossing. Gradually the extra food and drink I ate took effect and I finished in just less than 10 hours - much slower than hoped/expected. Not a good day for my wife either! Helen, doing the 21-mile route, had been making improvised interpretations of the route-description (she's a jazz musician!) and ended up way off-course. One of the hard-working Marshalls trekked over Moel Famau to put her back on track. It was a great day, but hard lessons learnt.

Photos in the Annexe ...
http://web.mac.com/garfield.southall/Annexe/Offas07.html

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law