Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Lakes 3000's

Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Sun 23rd Dec 2007, 16:14
Local Group: Northumbria
I recall descending just above the Foxes Tarn Route a few years ago - but I was led down that way by someone who knew it really well. From what I remember, I'm not sure I'd have tried it on my own.

I actually find the Foxes Tarn Route worse now that it was before they undertook the erosion control!
Author: Frank Cartwright
Posted: Tue 18th Dec 2007, 6:15
Local Group: Lakeland
I remember several times doing a traverse above Foxes Tarn without doing the full descent and ascent, but this was probably over 10 years ago. It certainly wasn't all that difficult at the time and I certainly do not have a good head for heights. I remember there was a small cairn above the gulley down to Foxes tarn from Scafell to identify the start of the traverse, which then followed a narrow path against a rock wall.
Posted: Sat 1st Dec 2007, 16:46
Hi , re lakeland 3,000 ers . I think it is. details in Lakeland Mountain Challenges (Ron Turnbull) Grey Stone Books. Suppose you can do it as fast as you want or are able.
Author: David Andrews
Posted: Fri 23rd Nov 2007, 14:49
Local Group: High Peak
Hello ,, everyone.. has any 1 any info re the lakes 3ooo re .. is it still classed as a walk ??
many thanks
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Thu 18th Oct 2007, 0:34
Local Group: South Wales
And, to cap it all, there has now, very recently, been a further major rockfall on the route down from Scafell, in Foxes Tarn, when a climber narrowly escaped serious injury or worse.

A report on the Wasdale Mountain Rescue website gives the details - scary stuff.
Author: Paul Hatcher
Posted: Thu 20th Sep 2007, 19:59
Local Group: Cumbria
Having recently visited Scafell and Scafell Pike on our round of the “Wainwrights” We did look at the options. Both Lords Rake and Broad Stand are still regularly used by individuals that are prepared to take the risk. (I believe Wasdale Mountain Rescue have had to deal with a relatively high number of unpleasant incidents on Broad Stand)) I suspect that in the present climate any organiser of an event would have difficulty in doing a Risk Assessment without declaring that both routes were not to be used under any circumstances. The Fox’s tarn alternative (our choice) would then have to be used in both directions. This is a tedious loss of height down and up loose scree, (definitely not recommended for the cautious) which is unpleasant enough with only a small number going only one way. Two way traffic would certainly have its problems. I believe that is the reason why a one way system was used before the present problems arose. It is great walk that sadly for safety concerns, in this one short mile, is not likely to return as an organised event.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sun 16th Sep 2007, 20:44
Local Group: Cumbria
There is a small thread regarding this event started in Jan 07 by Ron Davidson.It can be found by paging back until it is reached.
Author: Ian & Pauline Charters
Posted: Tue 11th Sep 2007, 7:31
Local Group: Lakeland
Why not not just do it?

The route, even if you don't know it, isn't difficult to work out.

If you do it yourself you can decide whether to use Lord's Rake or an alternative.

Stash food & drink if you want or find a willing driver to meet you at road crossings with supplies.

Actually, I am beginning to think I should have a go at this way myself.

Ian
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 10th Sep 2007, 23:42
Local Group: Merseystride
That's a shame. Does the Foxes Tarn route add too much ascent to the day? Perhaps the time has come for a via ferrata on Broad Stand ! Garfield
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Mon 10th Sep 2007, 2:33
Local Group: South Wales
It hasn't been held for some years, as the route up to Scafell - Lord's Rake - has been dangerous after a series of rock falls into the Rake and the looming presence of a large fractured unstable boulder at the top, which will surely crash down the rake at some point, maybe very soon.

We're all hoping it will stabilise in time, but it could be years and at present it looks like the 4 x 3000 Peaks event is now history.
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Sun 9th Sep 2007, 21:03
A cracking good event when I did it twice in the 80s. It was always held around midsummer's day for obvious reasons. Started at 2am [yes am] from Keswick Rugby Club.

Coming down Broad Stand at about 9am is quite an experience for a non climber - and not to be recommended except to idiots such as this poster!!!
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sun 9th Sep 2007, 8:00
Before that it was the Lakes 4 x 3000s, which I think was also organised by the RA
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sat 8th Sep 2007, 20:07
26 June 1999, 24 June 2000, 16 June 2001 and 22 June 2002, 21 June 2003 - 4 Peaks Challenge Walks organised by Lakeland RA. I knew I was keeping those Striders for something
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sat 8th Sep 2007, 16:08
Local Group: Surrey
Does anyone know about a event that does the 4 Lakes 3000's as a non-stop walking challenge?

I have had an enquiry about the date for next year, but even Google can't provide details of any previous events. Ken Falconer says he recalls something like this being in Strider in the past, but it's before my time (and the record of events archived on the website database).

Any news would be appreciated.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law