Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Elsecar Skelter with new routes

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 14th Aug 2007, 11:19
Local Group: Heart of England
An excellent day and we also enjoyed the new route. The 27 mile one extended to Wharncliffe Crags, which were an absolute delight, especially as the heather was in flower and very pretty. Some very helpful waymarking was in place, especially where narrow overgrown paths left the field edges. Very reassuring!

The food at the checkpoints was superb, especially the moist fruit cake and choc caramel shortbread - yum yum! Thank you to all the organisers, marshalls and helpers for a great day out.

Suggestions for next year: please could we have a proper meat (or veg) pie, instead of a pork pie, with the peas and gravy at the end. Also, I think it was fine to pay for drinks from the bar, but charging 50p for a cup of tea was a bit much. I would rather pay a bit more in the entry fee and have 'free' tea or coffee at the end.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Mon 13th Aug 2007, 13:00
Local Group: South Manchester
The weather was glorious for Elsecar Skelter last Saturday (just how I remember it to be). The new route is better because we get to see the Needle's Eye folly a little better on the outward instead of the finishing leg. We pass even closer to triangular Hoober Stand and get to see its inscription. More still, all three routes (15, 20 and 27 mile) pass Wentworth Woodhouse, spread before us in all its wide-fronted glory.
As good as the views were on the 20-mile route, which I walked due to injury, the 27-mile route extended further afar towards the wilds and even more beautiful views, so I heard. It was a brilliant day. I'll be back next year to sample the whole thing (God willing).
Nick Ham.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law