Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Poppyline Fifty

Author: Martin Pearson
Posted: Thu 9th Aug 2007, 21:23
Local Group: North Yorkshire
This is one of the best organised, well run events on the calendar. I did it a couple of years ago with Storm, my sheepdog (photo in Strider). This year I left him at home, and was one of the 6 walkers who retired at check 5. Message in there somewhere. Too, too HOT. Great service getting us all back to HQ, welcome shower and good food. I'll be back next year
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Thu 9th Aug 2007, 19:54
Local Group: High Peak
We agree that this is an excellent event. Although it’s a bit of a trek to Norfolk for us we like to do it every couple of years or so. Excellent food and lovely people at the checkpoints. A foolproof route description too. The only bit we took exception to was the instruction to “pass the Red Hart PH” in Bodham. On an afternoon as hot as that there was no way we were going to obey!

We didn’t actually enjoy this route as much as previous ones we have done. A lot of interesting bits in the early stages were omitted and we were sent inland sooner. We missed the walk on the beach and the old railway track down to North Walsham. The new bits round Holt and across Kelling Heath would have been some compensation had it been daylight!

Overall though, a really good walk and many thanks to Norfolk and Suffolk for their efforts.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Mon 6th Aug 2007, 20:04
Local Group: Dorset
I agree. This is a really great event, organised and supported by a great team of people. Thanks to Norfolk and Suffolk group for making the considerable efforts to put this on annually. I shall remember the beautiful unspoilt countryside, the interesting route, the brilliant food - and the burning sun- for a long time. There are not many events of this length that take place in high summer, and they have a special character all of their own. You can really experience beautiful rural England by day and by night, on the Poppyline 50. It is a truly excellent event that should not to missed by any serious LDWA walker - and a great qualifier for the Hundred, if you needed one.

mike childs Dorset LDWA
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 6th Aug 2007, 19:34
Local Group: Marches
great event as always. Fantastic food with the welcome addition of fruit, and excellent route description. Well done Norfolk ans Suffolk, it was a credit to you. Only downside for me was the heat which caused me some discomfort in the nether regions due to heat and rubbing so apologies to the guy I mooned whilst getting some fresh cool breeze there - I didn't think anyone was behind me.....
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Sun 5th Aug 2007, 15:56
Local Group: London
What a marvellous, marvellous event. Would like to thank Norfolk and Suffolk, particularly Bryan, Kath and Bill who saw our group through the later checkpoints. Bill wasn't designated sweeper - I just cheekily 'volunteered' him - but now I've got my 100 qualifier for next year so, Bill, it was a real good turn you did. And bravo to Chris Chorley - it was a fantastic route.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law