Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - monks trod

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Wed 18th Jul 2007, 8:45
Local Group: Heart of England
This is interesting. In the week after the Mid-Wales 100 we walked a kind of 'reservoir roundabout' from Elan village, up the Elan Valley, across the tops on the Monk's path, and then back down the Claerwen Valley. I also saw info in the Visitor Centre about the Monk's path between the 2 abbeys (Abbey-Cwmhir ... CP9 on the 100) and the other one, whose name escapes me now. I thought then that it looked a good thing to do, so if it is offered as an organised event, then even better!! We would definitely be interested next year.
Author: David Giles
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2007, 10:56
Local Group: Sussex
did this yesterday and cannot praise it enough,absolutely stunning views(despite the weather)and food fit for a king;basically.it is a pilgrim route that monks would use between 2 abbeys,you get bused to the start(inc in fee) and find your way back over unspoilt mid wales(near rhayader).In the 25 miles the only persons I came across were at the checkpoints(but they were a welcome sight!)and the sense of history you have of following in the shoes(or should it be sandals) of the monks is always with you.Please look out for it in strider next year(was not included this year due to reasons out of organisers control) as well as the christmas cracker based around the same area. Thank you to the organising team,your efforts are very appreciated

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law