Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Mid Wales 100

Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sun 10th Jun 2007, 22:50
Local Group: Marches
Hi - I think the biggest difference was whether you completed the latter sections in the light or dark - If you completed in about 35 hrs, this would mean the latter sections were done in the light which I think would have made a huge difference. Unfortunately i was one of the slower ones (42 hrs) who did the latter sections in the dark, hence why i would have found a few bearings helpful -We even managed to 'rescue' a couple of other fellow walkers who couldn't locate a stile in the dark. its not meant to be a criticism i am well aware these things are put together by volunteers, but I think doing a section in relative light is very different to trying to find a stile in the dark...
Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Fri 8th Jun 2007, 12:52
Local Group: South Wales
My thoughts on the route description see if you agree.

The finished RD was a work of art. Like it or not, surely it is something like this that adds to the magical differences between each 100. You have to accept it and get on with the walk.

Occasionally there was the odd anomaly in the RD. Let us put a few tings in prospective though:
1. Changes to the landscape happen after the writing and re-writing of such text.
2. People read and see things differently.
3. The RD was produced by un-paid volunteers. If we require a faultless RD no doubt we could find somebody to write one at a cost, but what cost.
4. I think it was on the 100 web site that Chris made a comment before the event that went along the lines that the RD should be read in conjunction with your maps (that you were all carrying). I did exactly that (1:50000) and had very little problem. Thank you for the advice Chris.
Posted: Wed 6th Jun 2007, 20:39
Glad most people seemed to enjoy it - just about recovered now but tried to run last night and found my legs really heavy.

Just to elaborate a little on the route description issue -I think the route description would have been fine if you had 1:50,000 maps with field boundaries on, but I had the 1:25,000 which don't, so this is why I found it tricky with so few bearings to follow in the latter sections.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 4th Jun 2007, 23:07
Local Group: Lakeland
It is a little surprising that it has taken a week for comments on the Hundred to appear, but there is a substantial thread on the event website.
I thought the Cant canolbarth Cymru was a superb event. Perhaps as Chairman you would expect me to say that, but it only reflects the comments made by many others.
Highlights for me were the beautiful scenery, the organisers' great attention to detail, and the warm welcome received at every single checkpoint. And as for the food........
Comment seem to be divided on the merits of the route description, but I enjoyed the "tourist information" and if you read it together with the map there were few problems.
Was it too tough? I don't think so. The 30% retirement rate was similar to the 2003 White Rose, and the profile of finishing times almost identical to Exmoor 2004. There was certainly a lot of climbing - a steep pull seemed to follow most checkpoints, but once you got to the top there was usually a mile or three of pleasant moorland walking to follow. I suppose your perception of toughness depends on where you were when the weather deteriorated. I had turned West and the wind and rain were mostly behind me, but walkers near the back of the field would have had to take it on the chin.
I found the last 10 miles by far the hardest, partly because the route description had suggested that it was an easy finish now that the hills were behind us. Slippery field paths, fiddly navigation and all those stiles were hard on tired and stiff limbs.
Many thanks to Mid Wales and Marches Groups and the many helpers who contributed to a memorable weekend.
Roll on Skipton 2008!
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Mon 4th Jun 2007, 23:01
Local Group: High Peak
An excellent 100 with a challenging but lovely route, superb support from checkpoint staff and brilliant food. From what I can remember, Bwlch Y Sarnau was where we got a truly excellent pasta and fruit salad! The chicken curry at the finish went down a treat.

Like Rebecca, my only gripe was the route description. It looked pretty and contained some interesting information but had some inaccuracies which could have easily been corrected with some checks. The showers at the finish didn't seem to be up to much so I didn't use them.

That said, overall it was a well put together event and Mid Wales and Marches deserve our thanks and congratulations.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Mon 4th Jun 2007, 21:39
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Tony,

I was one of the backmarkers at Bwlch y Sarnau. I greatly enjoyed that warm and comfortable checkpoint and it seemed a shame to leave, but needs must. Fortunately, I had enough warm clothing, and good waterproofs, but the second night was a memorable experience. We (just) made it to CP 12 at Craig Goch before it was completely dark. Despite the weather conditions, I thought it was great 100. The support and encouragement at all the checkpoints was outstanding and really appreciated. I found that it was necessary to use the RD in conjunction with the map - it was not a good idea to rely on the text alone, especially at night.... but I got there, which is what counts. We had a beautiful sunrise and dawn chorus to the finish

regards

mike childs
Posted: Mon 4th Jun 2007, 19:31
I've been waiting for someone else to start this thread given that my name appears so much! Found the 100 tough predominantly because of the weather. We had a mate supporting us and ended up borrowing most of his clothes after coming down off the moors on Sunday. feet were fine - no blisters until the bushwhack where my feet got soaked, and started peeling away after another 10 miles or so.

Everyone was excellent and the checkpointers giving much needed inspiration. Food was a perfect mix and for once I managed to keep eating for the whole event as there were good tempting carbohydrates at most checkpoints.

If i am to find a down point and I have to search hard to find one, I found the route description lacking in detail, especially in the latter legs when you don't want to be wandering round a field looking for a stile, for example, it would say 'go across fields and stiles to road' - I would have appreciated more compass bearings here, and perhaps exactly how many stiles to the road. the glow sticks helped, but they for us acted more as a reassurance that you were on the correct route rather than a navigational guide as you couldn't really spot them too easily in the dark and rain, but this was a minor point, and everything else was brilliant.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Mon 4th Jun 2007, 17:40
Local Group: Cumbria
I have been waiting eagerly for comments and discussion on the 100 but so far very little.Most people must have recovered by now and should be ready to share their experiences.
Our Group manned CP 10 at Bwlch Y Sarnau and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves over the weekend we spent there.Three of us went for a short walk (1 hour) in the rain on Sunday afternoon and were grateful to return to the Hall to usher the backmarkers into a soggy second night.How did you all do?
Rest assured it will be drier at Shap next weekend!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law