Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Coast to Coast in winter.

Posted: Wed 6th Feb 2008, 6:39
Hi Derek,
Did you get away at the end of January for the coast to coast walk?
I'd be interested on how it went!!

Andy
Posted: Thu 9th Aug 2007, 22:00
Thanks Alex & Catharine, your comments are very helpful and much appreciated!
Author: Catharine Gregory
Posted: Wed 1st Aug 2007, 11:44
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hi Derek,

You should have the advantage that the YHAs that are open won't be closed due to school parties. There are also a number of bunk barns. These vary hugely from sleeping on a cold concrete slab with no hot water to (relative) luxury. East Applegarth Farm (3 miles west of Richmond) has converted a former cow byre and was particularly good. The Sherpa Van service gives lots of accommodation information.

Good luck. It's a terrific journey!
Posted: Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 22:28
Thanks Sue for being so helpful and quick with your replies. I was beginning to think poorly of the LDWA membership, but you have redeemed my faith.
Wishing there were more like you!
Thanks again, Derek.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Mon 2nd Jul 2007, 8:38
Hi Derek
No, I set off after breakfast and arrived by 5pm (ish) as I remember. You're more likely to be early than late, but several of the overnight stops (not Ennerdale Bridge) have a cafe that's even open in February! Have a good trip.
Posted: Sun 1st Jul 2007, 20:56
Thanks Sue, I appreciate your thoughts and assistance. Did you have any trouble getting the miles in each day before it started to get too dark?
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Tue 26th Jun 2007, 13:32
You should be OK for accommodation as far as Richmond if you stop at Ennerdale Bridge, Borrowdale, Patterdale, Shap, Kirkby Stephen, Thwaite/Muker & Richmond. I did this in February a few years ago (even though most YHs weren't available, there were b&bs and pubs, although this made it more expensive). There's also an alternative coast to coast route from (I think) Arnside to Saltburn by sea via Kirkby lonsdale, Ingleton, Hawes, Leyburn etc.
Posted: Sat 2nd Jun 2007, 21:46
Thanks Peter, you are probably right. Any thoughts from anyone else?
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Mon 28th May 2007, 18:34
Local Group: East Lancashire
Of course you're mad, you are an LDWA member.

I have done several LDPs in February in the past. They pose different problems, more clothing to be carried/worn, fewer B&Bs open, shorter daylight hours. Before tackling the C to C why not try a shorter route. My favorite trip was The Bowland Dales Traverse. Garstang to Richmond one February about six years ago the silent, snowy entry to Malham on day two was quite magical and the climb up a frozen Gordale Scar a challenge.
Posted: Sun 27th May 2007, 19:40
I'm thinking of walking Wainwright's Coast to Coast in late January 2008. Am I mad? Poor daylight hours, weather, Youth Hostels closed etc. Advice would be gratefully received. My wife thinks I'm daft!
I've done Cleveland, Cotswold, Cumbria, Dales Way etc. but all in the summer.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law