Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - The Dragons Back.

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 14th May 2007, 17:58
Local Group: Mid Wales
'That simple'!!! My husband is the master of under statement!! but yes, it was all arranged thru the forum. Jane
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 11th May 2007, 0:21
Local Group: East Lancashire
Matt

You need to stay in more.

Westmorland Way last week was just perfect, 100 miles 6.5 days, slow enough to see the views and take some pictures.

Striding Edge against a clear blue sky, Rydal Water without a ripple. Not many days like that. Fantastic week and great memories.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 10th May 2007, 22:14
Local Group: Mid Wales
I have just returned from an amazing 5 days. A group of 5 of us (fell runners) who met on the fra forum decided to try a version of the classic Dragons Back route through Wales, over 5 days. The route was from Pen-y-pass (Snowdon) to Cwm Llwch (Pen-y-fan), virtually all cross country it was 160 miles, 42000ft ascent and 27 summits - aprox. Hardest day was the second: 37 miles and 11500ft, including both Rhinogs, Llethr, Diffwys, Cadair, Waun Oer, Cribin Fawr, Maen Du. The longest day was 40 miles.
I can't describe it all, it was a roller coaster of ups and downs (excuse the pun) mentally and physically. But the great thing was that it came about because of the internet and chat forum. We simply hired a mini bus, roped in some backup drivers, booked bed and breakfasts and off we went - that simple, o.k. and a bit of training as well.

Have to say it is a marvellous challenge for anyone who wants a go, it is also the kind of thing that can be organised through this forum, by bringing together like minded walkers from all over the country. Just an idea for you, and you could take 6 days instead of 5 if you wanted!! Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law