Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Myrtle Meander 24. Feb. 2007

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Sat 3rd Mar 2007, 23:19
Local Group: High Peak
Had to miss this one, think i have a slipped disc, but it's one i really enjoy and what a change it must have been not to do it in snow and blizzards
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 26th Feb 2007, 20:43
Local Group: Heart of England
Agreed!
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 25th Feb 2007, 22:58
Local Group: Merseystride
Nice one, Andreas.

I did this last year and really enjoyed it, even if some of the hills seemed steeper than they should've !

It's also nice to see another runner joing our ranks. Welcome - lots to enjoy without having to pound pavements for 26.2 miles.

Garfield
Posted: Sun 25th Feb 2007, 15:39
I have just returned home from this year's Myrtle Meander in Bingley, Yorkshire and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It was my first ever Challenge Walk and, incidentally, my longest walk by several miles (I usually walk 10-12 miles). Naturally, I was a bit anxious about how I would cope with the distance but I finished in good shape (just one blister).
I suppose being a long distance runner helps with endurance although walking is a different type of activity.

The course went along farmlands with very muddy paths which I have found tough to walk on. I slipped and slided a lot (and my shoes and trousers need a good wash now). The section on Ovenden/Thornton Moor was the most beautiful (it reminded me of my home-Scotland). And the cobblestones in Haworth were legendary.

Having run several marathons, I was impressed with the checkpoints. Plenty of drinks, and some even had tea/coffee and most wonderful cakes. You don't get that at the London Marathon ! I also was surprised at the friendly atmosphere, marathon-runners are probably too competitive to be friendly.

A challenging walk, friendly atmosphere, plenty of tea & cakes, hot meal at finish, certificate, an almost perfect route description, good public transport access, pleasant scenery, enough hills to keep you interested....all for 6 pounds.
Rather than paying 39 pounds for the Edinburgh Marathon, I'll instead take part in more LDWA events.

The LDWA has certainly gained one happy supporter.

Regards,

Andreas, Edinburgh

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law