Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - woldsman 50 miler

Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2007, 22:18
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Relieved that things seem to be working OK! Now this is the real post! I understand and empathise with Eileen. The Woldsman is not a race. The challenge is to walk fifty miles in the wonderful Wolds countryside. Ideally, I believe that participants should begin when they like. I'm sure that everyone will know how long it takes them to complete the challenge. Unfortunately some people expect a "results sheet" ( How a non-competitive event can have a result is another matter!). In order to balance walking speeds against completion times, three start times seemed to be a good strategy. I guess that most folk will begin at 8 o'clock, but the speed merchants run the risk of arriving at checkpoints before they are open. I trust that they will wait patiently. I hope that you enter the Woldsman and enjoy the event. There are some cracking pubs on the way. To resolve Eileen's dilemma, I suggest you check out at 8 o'clock and wait for an hour before setting off. After all the time does not matter, does it?
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2007, 22:11
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Looks like it works Paul!
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2007, 22:09
Tried to post a reply to Eileen, but it failed. This is a brief message to see if my PC is Ok. Hope that makes sense. No, I'm not losing my marbles!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 19th Nov 2007, 22:20
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hmm.. 3 different start times! Now I am not a runner. But am I a "normal" walker or fast or indeed a fast slow walker or even a slow faster walker! Can I start at 0900 hours please!!

Eileen Greenwood / Yorkshire Coast
Posted: Tue 23rd Oct 2007, 20:47
Entry forms for the Woldsman are now available from Neal Ingram, 99 York Road, Driffield, East Yorkshire, YO25 5AY or newwoldsman@btinternet.com. The 50 mile route is established. It includes some off footpath sections negotiated with local farmers / landowners, together with part of the Yorkshire Wolds Way. The event takes place on 26 / 27 April from the Driffield Showground (018566). There are three start times of 08:00 for normal walkers (at approx 3mph pace), 10:00 for our faster friends and 12:00 for those who wish to run. The event will cater for both experienced walkers, who may be warming up for the hundred, as well as those looking to complete 50 miles for the first time. The entry fee of £12, or £15 on the day includes the usual support and paraphernalia which represents great value for money (even for a Yorkshireman (or woman)!)
Posted: Sat 28th Apr 2007, 20:29
Planning for next year's Woldsman is progressing. It will be held over the weekend of 26 / 27 April 2008 (please note change of date since the previous posting) from Driffield Show Ground. This has good facilities, easy access and loads of parking space. Driffield is well served by public transport and there is plenty of affordable accomodation in the area for those who require it. The route is still 'under development'. but will traverse the central area of the Yorkshire Wolds, visiting many of its characteristic villages. Neil Ingram (ningram99@btinternet.com) has volunteered to deal with the entries and details will appear in August's Strider as well as on the East Yorkshire LDWA website (follow the links from this site). In the meantime keep spreading the word, the Woldsman returns in 08.
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 14:43
Thanks for the interest in the Woldsman. The event will not take place this year, but East Yorkshire LDWA have started planning a replacement / new version for 2008. Provisional date is the weekend of 19th / 20th April 2008. with Driffield "Capital of the Wolds". as the start and finish. An entirely new 50 mile route will explore the central Yorkshire Wolds. Details should appear in August Strider, by which time the route and headquaters should be confirmed. In the meantime, please spread the word, "Return of the Woldsman 2008". don't miss it!
Author: Julian Brown
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 11:08
Local Group: Staffordshire
no by the looks of it, a bit of googling fetched this up.

http://beehive.thisishull.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=4387&PageID=30896
Posted: Tue 13th Feb 2007, 22:07
had a great time participating in the woldsman 50 miler, but seems to be no details of it on the website. Is it happening this year? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law