Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Maps in electronic format

Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 20:15
Local Group: Northumbria
Me neither. The secret is safe hex.
Author: John King
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 18:24
Tempting fate here but i can honestly say i have never had a virus on any of my PCs in over ten years.

But i am fastidious about keeping software up to date and selective as to what i do online
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 17:46
Local Group: Merseystride
Tracklogs runs in Virtual PC on a mac, if a bit labouriously. However, I now have a new macBook which has the Parallels virtual PC which runs faster than a Pentium 3.0Ghz PC !! Really flies on mapping software. And you can drag and drop between Windows and mac apps ! The only other Windows App I use is RunLog for recording my training and event times.

Touch wood - never had a virus in 4 blissful mac years. Garfield
Posted: Tue 13th Feb 2007, 20:14
I reckon i have had more viruses than my P/C maybe my software needs updating :0)

John
Posted: Tue 13th Feb 2007, 0:19
You mean exchange my Mac for a virus catcher?
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Mon 12th Feb 2007, 22:11
Local Group: Northumbria
I could loan you a laptop, Peter!
Posted: Mon 12th Feb 2007, 18:14
Peter you could look into Pc emulation software, i think it may work with Memory Map but not sure as to what extent.

Good Luck John
Posted: Mon 12th Feb 2007, 15:00
on this subject, does anyone know of any Macintosh-friendly mapping software, as both Memory Map and Anquet are PC-blinkered.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sat 10th Feb 2007, 21:50
Local Group: Merseystride
John, that's exactly what I do. I did the last 100 with 14 waterproof A4 pages and this was so mcuh easier than a map case flapping around in my face. Still had to carry the real ones in my sack !

This year I'm doing the Marshall's 100 so having acquired the Tracklogs maps relevant to the area, I guess I won't need the paper ones at all.

The GPS also stays in my sack, watching the skies. Garfield
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 10th Feb 2007, 21:40
Local Group: Mid Wales
No way I'm clever enough to do all that John. I just chuck the remnants of the OS back in the drawer.
I have scanned a section of OS map and then laminated it for an event, that worked quite well and has definate advantages over carrying the whole thing.

And another thing ....... the earth is flat!!! Matt the Map (flat earth society).
Posted: Sat 10th Feb 2007, 18:37
I love my electronic OS maps, it means that i can work my routes out at my PC prior to needing it, print it off and laminate it, and then when it is needed instead of a huge great map that i need to do battle with in anything other than a slight breeze, i have a few A4 waterproof sheets with the relevant info on which can be discarded when finished with (Responsibly)

Then when i get home i can Download the info from my GPS (i use a compass for Navigation more fun )that has been residing in the bottom of my daysac to see just where i have gone astray whilst out.

It also gives me a record of times dates in fact a full record of my activities in the time it takes to have a shower.

Electronic/Digital mapping is certainly the way forward.
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 23:20
Think I'm happy with my "ordinary" OS map. Although I've been map reading for a number of years (and getting lost like everyone else), I can honestly say, that every time I take it out I still learn something new.
I was following a a guy in the 2005 Lamm A class, who is one of the top navigation instructors in the country (note the word 'following'!!). He was an education in concentration. Isle of Mull, thick mist and magnetic rocks - we were stuffed and misplaced - but this guy walked us through a moonscape of featurless rocks, his head buried in his map and compass. His mate shared his chocolate bar with us and said, "Haven't a clue where we are, but he's like a homing pigeon, I let him get on with it".

I did learn a lot from that jaunt, mainly how much further into a map you can look to keep revealing more clues. I'm crap at crosswords and puzzles, but proper OS maps do it for me, I get a real buzz from working it out.

No electronics for me, take the fun out of it all. Matt the Map.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 22:43
Local Group: Surrey
Matt, it's where you walk with your head inside one of those Japanese style video helmets. You follow the map and play Star Wars at the same time. Much better than looking at boring old countryside.
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 22:30
Mathew tell that one to the Marines, the LDWA has always been ahead of the game when it comes to inovation and are always more tech savvy than they admitt. Thats why they keep putting replys on this forum.
David H
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 22:21
Unlike members such as myself, who have not the remotest idea what an 'electronic map' is ????????

puzzled Matt.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 19:22
Local Group: Surrey
The LDWA moves with the times! Maps in electronic format are accepted as complying with map requirement rules for Cant Canolbarth Cymru 2007.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law