Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - New to LDWA

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 26th Feb 2007, 20:35
Local Group: Heart of England
We're looking forward the the Chiltern Kanter - highly recommended!
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 26th Feb 2007, 9:18
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hi Keith as the organiser of next weekend's Chiltern Kanter I would agree with you! New 26 mile route goes via Ivinghoe Beacon and Whipsnade Zoo Tree Cathedral. Very good certificate and badge to mark 30 years of the event with your usual excellent Beds, Bucks and Northants hospitality. Look forward to seeing many of you there!
Posted: Sun 25th Feb 2007, 12:41
For newcomers one good way of sampling the delights of Challenges is to pick an event with several distance options so that you do not commit yourself to too far too soon.An example is next Sunday's Chiltern Kanter with options at 26,18 and 13 miles.
Posted: Tue 13th Feb 2007, 15:51
Thanks for the information - I contacted the organiser and she emailed me the entry form so that's sorted now. Looking forward to my first walk but have to build up to it first as my friend and I are used to doing half marathons at the moment.
Posted: Wed 7th Feb 2007, 18:28
Hello all, I'm new too! And hoping to join in a walk soon. At the moment I'm still finding my way around the site...got the local 'London' one, so far so good!!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 5th Feb 2007, 9:57
Local Group: Lakeland
Tamsyn,
Just a couple of points to add to Elton's posting. In the past most events published a "flyer" for their event which included an entry form. Send in the entry with an SAE and you will receive entry confirmation, often accompanied by detailed information including map & equipment requirements and a route description. Events may accept Standard Entry Forms which can be downloaded from the website.
As Elton indicates, nowadays many challenge walks also have event information and a downloadable entry form on the Local Group website, but if you are still unsure about what you need to do, contact the organiser who I am sure will be only too pleased to help.
We are investigating the feasibility of online entry to events with payment by debit or credit card, and hope to do some trials later this year.
Enjoy your walking.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 4th Feb 2007, 19:47
Local Group: Surrey
Sorry Tamsyn, my reply was too vague.

Click on the event on the RHS; find which local group is running it; click on local groups, LHS: click on that group, RHS, which will take you to the group website. You should find the entry form there.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 4th Feb 2007, 19:41
Local Group: Surrey
Hi Tamsyn and welcome
The entry form which is normally downloadable will usually contain everything you need to know.
Elton
Posted: Sun 4th Feb 2007, 17:48
Sorry if I ask obvious questions - feel free to point me in the right direction elsewhere on this site if I've missed something!

I've just joined and would like to join a Challenge but the details in Future Events don't specify an entry form or who to make cheques payable to. I have emailed the organiser but is there somewhere I should be looking to get this information?

What kind of details will I get in the event pack? Will there be recommendations of maps or should I start investigating this on my own well in advance of the event?

Looking forward to meeting some of you at real events rather than just posting on web forums!

Tamsyn

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law