Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Commercial adds on the forum.

Author: John King
Posted: Sat 3rd Feb 2007, 20:08
Bang on the button Elton
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 3rd Feb 2007, 18:02
Local Group: Surrey
Drawing the attention of other walkers to a site for say, cheap gear or cheap maps, of which one has experience, but in which one has no commercial interest is fine - and the poster should make it clear he/she has no commercial interest (unless it is obvious.)

Plugging one's own product or service is not. If the product/service is wonderful, a satisfied user should be happy to mention it.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sun 21st Jan 2007, 15:55
Local Group: Marches
I agree with John King. I have only been a member of the LDWA since 2003 but it does seem that there are members who are resistant to change / new ideas and are quick to jump down each others throat after reading what starts to be an inocent post on a forum. I dared to comment once on food preparation on a checkpoint and got a barrage of 'you should be grateful there is a checkpoint at all' type comments. If the LDWA is to grow and evolve we need to be a little tolerant of other peoples ideas and comments, after all what is there to be afraid of?
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 21:11
Local Group: Lakeland
It's difficult to make definite rules. We don't allow advertising in Strider. but the Editor may include an item if he/she judges that it provides a service to members (e.g. the b & B item in December's Checkpoint). Not many would object to book reviews and discount offers to members but both represent a form of advertising.
Requests for links from the LDWA website to commercial sites are becoming more frequent. Again it's a matter of judgement. Is it a service to members? Can we maintain the data? does it have a logical place on one of our web pages? Are we getting something in return, such as cross advertising?
So far as the forum is concerned I would be reluctant to use the moderating power to control entries unless it became a big problem. From the reaction to this one it seems that there are some vigilant members around, but of course with diametrically opposite views.
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 19:32
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some people are to judge other folk that they don`t know, from a few words that have been posted on a forum.

So far i have seen rude and curmudgeonly posted in relation to the commercial adds theme, neither of which apply to me, as those that know me would vouch.

So i wonder in which direction they were directed.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 19:22
Local Group: Mid Wales
Please see my reply on the Events heading. Didn't notice this new topic about Terry's ad.Jane
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 19:21
Local Group: Mid Wales
Please see my reply on the Events heading. Didn't notice this new topic about Terry's ad.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 19:11
Local Group: Cumbria
I agree, Sue - but I wonder what the Moderator (and others) think.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 9:43
Whilst I agree with you about 'commercial ads' I really don't have a problem with members plugging their own services/products which are relevant to this forum. As I understand it, only members can pst here, so what's the problem. I'm personally more interested in such posts than in curmudgeonly stuff.
Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2007, 20:05
You are right John, I think commercial adverts on the L D W A forums should be stamped out before they get a hold. If you wish to advertise a commercial product use a commercial site.
David H
Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2007, 20:05
You are right John, I think commercial adverts on the L D W A forums should be stamped out before they get a hold. If you wish to advertise a commercial product use a commercial site.
David H
Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2007, 17:01
Simple question are folk that place commercial adds on the forum taking advantage? in my opinion it is little different to a pop up banner add.

I do not wish to be rude, but i was brought up with a sense of propriety, and i get a little irritated when i see folk taking advantage of a situation.

John

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law