Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Thoughts over trackers.

Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Wed 13th Jul 2022, 19:38
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Loved the concept of trackers we were following others while we walked around. Duty of care it is the way forward and makes it a lot easier for the marshals and officials. Gives them a good idea of the numbers coming into the checkpoints. We need to embrace technology to help us all.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Mon 27th Jun 2022, 16:54
Local Group: South Wales
Can I suggest that feedback on the issues relating to the trackers are sent to our 100s coordinator, Sara Dyer? She can be emailed at 100sCoordinator@ldwa.org.uk
I personally think the idea of tracking the entrants is a real boost to the organisers' duty of care but agree that there were some issues with the software used on the Trans-Pennine 100. I have provided feedback, both positive & developmental to Sara and I am aware that others have also done so.

Regards,

David Morgan
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Mon 27th Jun 2022, 16:54
Local Group: South Wales
Can I suggest that feedback on the issues relating to the trackers are sent to our 100s coordinator, Sara Dyer? She can be emailed at 100sCoordinator@ldwa.org.uk
I personally think the idea of tracking the entrants is a real boost to the organisers' duty of care but agree that there were some issues with the software used on the Trans-Pennine 100. I have provided feedback, both positive & developmental to Sara and I am aware that others have also done so.

Regards,

David Morgan
Author: John Esslemont
Posted: Thu 9th Jun 2022, 11:02
Local Group: Thames Valley
Though the official results have not yet been issued, the tracker listings are still available at
https://track.trail.live/event/ldwa100/leaders
and show up some anomalies.

For example, some entrants do not have a time listed for CP8, whereas most do. I guess this may have something to do with intermittent reception at Mam Nick.

The results give me an arrival time at Dinting Vale, whereas in fact I retired at Crowden. I did, in fact, visit the Dinting Vale checkpoint, probably at about the time shown, but only because the minibus called there after picking me (and several others) up at Crowden. What remains slightly puzzling to me is that I am the only entrant shown as arriving at Dinting Vale at that time, even though there were several others on the minibus all, so far as I am aware, having retired at Crowden. Perhaps somebody had switched off the other trackers, but not mine?

As for the difficulty Andy mentions in keeping track of individuals during the event, my daughter seems to have managed to keep an eye on my progress (or lack of it), though I don't know how easy she found it to do so.
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Wed 8th Jun 2022, 12:31
Local Group: Wiltshire
Below are some of my thoughts over the use of trackers this year.

Tracking of dots is 'interesting' but that was about it.

The use of simplemaps for the UI did not make possible to distinguish entrants on the route, or really find an entrant (certainly on a mobile). The UI worked fine will a smaller number of dots on the marshals, but not really with the larger number of dots of the main event.

As we were also doing paper records, then it did not reduce the workload at the CP. Actually going back to paper, rather than electronic increased the workload. In addition dealing with entrants who were incorrectly recorded on the trackers increased that further.

At CP3 we were passed some 'odd' information by Raynet, which as we had no real way to query what was being given to us was largely ignored. It would have been far better if such information had been passed directly over mobile (voice/text/whatsapp)

Thinking about it a whatsapp group for checkpoint managers for the day would probably be a good idea.

I dont know if it was the implementation, or simplemaps, but the UI really did not work well on a mobile (eg the way I found to find an entrant was search by name, press the fist button under their name, wait for google maps to load, press back button)

What checkpoint catering staff need is an easy access to numbers like 'how many entrants still to come' and ideally 'how many entreats in the next 15 minutes'. The system really did not make this possible. I failed to understand the sort order that was being used, and the interface was certainly not mobile friendly. (even on the nice big screen on my mobile)

I assume that only control could mark entrants as retired? This meant that trying to work out who had retired was largely guess work.

In the end the only way we had at CP3 to be confident we had had everyone through talking to the final entrants, and when the sweeper turned up.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law