Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hills and Hill Registers - Dartmoor Tors

Author: Ronnie Bowron
Posted: Fri 25th Feb 2022, 9:24
Local Group: West Yorkshire
19As an Addendum to my earlier comments

Through some collaborative research I have now added summits in each English National Park and North Pennines, Nidderdale, Shropshire Areas ONB and The South Pennines Park that are above 300m height and Prominence of P15 - P19.99. Bringing drop down to P15 brings it into line with the Nuttall's criteria between 2,000ft to 300 metres.

What that means for Dartmoor is that it adds 21 new hills/ Tors to the Definitive List for this National Park.
Author: Ronnie Bowron
Posted: Sun 9th Jan 2022, 17:47
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Nicky

A lot of the Dartmoor Tors do not appear in DoBIH or Harold Street for bagging purposes.

Secondly which Dartmoor Tors list would you use? This one claims to be The Definitive List (https://www.torsofdartmoor.co.uk/team.php) but I'm also aware of a smaller list promoted by Visit Dartmoor.

Personally not something I would be interested in, its sometimes hard enough defining what constitutes a separate hill (height and drop), how does one define a Tor? You will understand this question if you flick through this website.

I did consider whether I should add Tors to my Dartmoor National Park listing "The 147 Dartmoor National Park summits - The Definitive List©" but having reviewed the website above decided against it.

Ronnie
Author: Nicky Wood
Posted: Fri 7th Jan 2022, 17:04
Local Group: Lakeland
Hi, Nicky here, new Hill Register Recorder. I have been approached by the Cornwall and Devon Secretary to see if we could include a Register for the Dartmoor Tors. There are about 500 of them, although you can probably do quite an impressive 'bagging' exercise some days because they are geographically reasonably close together and run along ridges. I have approached the 'owner' of the list of these whose website we would ask to use for the grid references etc, and am waiting to hear back, but before I do any more I thought it would be nice to see what people think?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law