Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Stour Valley Way

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sun 18th Jul 2021, 13:02
Local Group: East Lancashire
This is a familiar story of bypasses and newly re-routed major roads which cross the lines of pre-existing rights of way without 'obstructing' or 'blocking' them, leaving them 'accessible' via stiles or sometimes steps (as here) and sometimes (but not always) gaps in the central reservation (so that's all right then). Local examples: a wet underfoot and hence often overgrown path alongside and then straight across the 60mph plus A629 dual carriageway near the Steeton-Silsden roundabout (which does not [yet] have a footbridge or subway). This one isn't a named 'Way', not that carrying a moniker would make much difference. Another is the path north out of Skipton from Corn Mill, which is a great route (and part of more than one Way) but goes across the bypass. Its near neighbour does the same, this time down rather then up, but there's an alternative via a minor road bridge (and then down some steep steps to an often overgrown wallside path to a stile, into also usually wet ground.)

Do we expect every existing right of way to have a subway or footbridge over every bypass or main road ? In the above cases, the first is horrendous and only once attempted by me (but may soon have a near alternative), the second is ok (I'll be leading a walk across it in August), and the third could have merited a footbridge but the nearby minor road is better. The Pennine Way's famous footbridge over the M62 is an excellent example of how it should be, but when the motorway was constructed the PW was the most walked route in the UK. There are now so many 'named' routes that merely rebranding an ancient footpath as a 'Way' carries little guarantee that it will be accessible, safe (LOL) and clear of under- and over-growth. Yesterday I negotiated a brambled and nettled hedge in south Derbyshire with a hidden and high-drop stile, after asking the locals if that path was 'overgrown' - but it did have a good footbridge over a waterhole, so of course it was 'accessible'. (I had been on minor roads because of hayfever and as yet uncut fields, just tried this one because it was a good shortcut on a very hot day.)

It's a problem of too many rights of way versus new roads and developments for them all to be rendered properly usable. The boom in outdoors activity may encourage local councils to put more resources into footpaths and bridleways, but that would be optimistic. When there were resources for such things (pre-2008, pre-Covid) there were many new named routes, some with fingerposts and leaflets, now out of print and out of maintenance budgets. It's a lottery, the only to way to find out if a bit of path is doable is to try it, sometimes it's a learning experience but more often, surprisingly, you can get through, maybe scratched, stung and annoyed, to the next one. If you're attempting a little-known but named Way for the first time there will often be people here and on the Facebook site who can offer advice, particularly safe alternatives to major road crossings. Just don't try the A629 path near the Steeton-Silsden roundabout.

Iain
Author: Andy Clark
Posted: Sat 17th Jul 2021, 4:47
Local Group: Kent
Hello Liz; I'm sorry to hear of your experience on that particular section of the Stour Valley Way.
Although this LDP isn't specifically featured on Dorset County Council's website (some other LDPs are), the responsibility for maintenance of all footpaths and public rights of way in their County will fall to them.
I would suggest contacting them with your concerns; they do have an online system for reporting specific problems - https://mapping.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/rightsofway/reportproblem
Author: Liz Atkins
Posted: Fri 16th Jul 2021, 15:07
Local Group: Thames Valley
Last week I walked part of the Stour Valley Way from Sturminster Newton to Stourhead. Apart from the lack of signage and the very poorly maintained gateways and stiles - most completely covered in nettles and brambles - I was horrified to find that the route requires you to cross the A303. Looking at the map I assumed there was a footbridge but not a bit of it. There are sets of very well constructed steps, wooden hand rails and fences on either side of one of the fastest and busiest roads in the country and only a narrow gap in the central reservation between carriageways. Who in their right minds thinks that is a good idea? Mercifully the road was not as busy as it might have been and I had to take my own and my dog's life in my hands and make a dash for it in breaks in the traffic. To say that I and the poor dog were terrified is an understatement. About 1/2 a mile east there is a perfectly good road under the A303 to Bourton but by the time I had reached the steps it was late, hot and I was too tired to walk the mile or so back to it. Whoever is responsible for this long distance path should seriously consider rerouting in via the road. it would not be a hardship since the last couple of miles leading to the A303 on the south side is road anyway.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law