Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Witnesses - awkward

Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Thu 27th May 2021, 22:18
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks David and Neil. Quite a relief to be able to dispense with this. I have put some effort into investigating metadata and GPX files and testing they work, so as I think I've said elsewhere, if nothing else I've learned some things.

I cannot imagine what it's going to be like for the verification team to be handling all this. I regret that I could not offer to help (but I wouldn't be the right person).

S
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 24th May 2021, 21:43
Simon, I'll also be unsupported and don't plan to approach strangers for fear of being accused of stalking. Every 5 miles or so I'll take a photo of an obvious landmark (village sign, school sign, pub, cathedral (seriously!)). You might be amazed at how much location evidence is out there, even at the cost of a small detour from route. As David said, any photo contains metadata but I'll take photos using the (free) Timestamp photo app. to make doubly sure of time confirmation and note my mileage when the photo was taken for the record sheet. That should correspond with the time recorded on the gpx file to confirm where I was and when or provide evidence if the gpx fails, which wouldn't be unknown. None of this stops me doing the whole event on my mountain bike but it might prove difficult to do this at a convincing 3mph, especially when I descend 50 consecutive locks on the Tardebigge stretch of the Worcester Canal! Seriously, I really don't imagine anyone on the team will be looking to make us fail, except for the most egregious cheating (eg my mountain bike). Life has been hard enough for the last year for all of us for our colleagues to go out of their way to tear us to pieces now.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Mon 24th May 2021, 7:04
Local Group: South Wales
It wasn't really this scenario that was envisaged Simon. It was for someone who is being supported.
May I suggest that you take jpg images on a digital phone (they will automatically contain metadata that shows what time and date they were taken) and list their locations on the evidence upload form.
An alternative might be a shop receipt which will show a time and date of a purchase. Again, the location of the shop can be added to the evidence upload form.
The validation team, working with the 100 coordinator, really have tried to make this as easy as possible by providing alternative methods.
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Sun 23rd May 2021, 10:17
I am wary of asking strangers to provide witness testimony of having seen me attempting the 2021 Hundred. Partly it's because I'd have to ask them to provide some means of corroboration, presumably, such as an email address or phone number, and some may be uncomfortable with that. Partly it's because it involves exchanging bits of paper with strangers, in the Covid era.

How are people proposing to manage this? How did people manage it on the marshals' weekend?

I'm expecting to be unsupported.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law