Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Bowland-Dales Traverse

Author: Paul Winn
Posted: Tue 25th Oct 2022, 11:06
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hello Deidre. Thank you so much for your information and link to Abe Books. I now have ordered a copy of John Gillam's guide to the Bowland-Dales Traverse and look forward to receiving it and planning my walk.
Kind regards,
Paul.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2022, 17:15
Local Group: Dorset
Hello Paul, Look on Abe Books: they have two copies.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Bowland%20Dales%20Traverse&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results
Sorry I have forgotten how to do a proper link.
Author: Paul Winn
Posted: Tue 18th Oct 2022, 11:23
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hello Adam,
I'm thinking of walking the Bowland-Dales Traverse and like you I have encountered problems trying to find a copy of John Gillam's guidebook to the walk. I wondered if you had completed the walk and if you could help me acquire a copy of the book. Any other advice on the walk would be appreciated too.
Kind regards, Paul.
Author: Adam Dawson
Posted: Thu 25th Mar 2021, 16:02
Local Group: London
Thanks everyone for your help.
I eventually heard back from John Gillham (the original author) via the Grey Stone books facebook page. He has very kindly sent me (free of charge) a “faulty� print copy of his lovely little guidebook to the Bowland Dales Traverse walk. It's 30 years out of date but I'm sure the hills won't have changed very much!
As and when I walk it, I will report back.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Mon 8th Mar 2021, 10:50
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Adam

The walkingenglishman website names him as Mike Brockhurst, who is also an evolutionary biologist at the University of Sheffield, or the University of York, or both.
Iain
Posted: Sun 7th Mar 2021, 18:13
Thanks Iain
The Walking Englishman GPX is in fact identical to the one on the LDWA website. But his commentary is interesting - sounds like he (if Walking Englishman is indeed a person) may have walked it relatively recently. I'm also following up with Grey Stone books but no response yet and will try contacting the Walking Englishman via his feedback form if I don't have any joy with Grey Stone.
All inputs very gratefully received.
Adam
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Thu 4th Feb 2021, 14:59
Local Group: East Lancashire
The WalkingEnglishman's website (2003-2021) is offering a gpx download at:
https://www.walkingenglishman.com/ldp/bowlanddalestraverse.html#google_vignette
His walks go back well before 2003, but there's a feedback/contact form.
Iain
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 14:57
Thanks Andy!
I'll contact the publisher as you suggest and let you know what the outcome is. And if I do ever manage to walk it, I will of course record a gpx!
Adam
Author: Andy Clark
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 12:59
Local Group: Kent
Looking at this in more depth, if you haven't already tried this, you may want to contact Grey Stone Books via Facebook [url]https://www.facebook.com/Grey-Stone-Books-216117291808763[url] . It appears that this company is owned by John Gillham, presumably the same John Gillham who wrote the book.
Author: Andy Clark
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2021, 10:40
Local Group: Kent
Hello Adam
I've had a look on the LDP database and I can't see that we've ever had a copy of this book in our library. In fact as far back as 2008, we understood that the book was unavailable and with no indication as to whether it would ever be restocked.
I'll be a bit cheeky now and ask that if you manage to do this walk in the future, please could you report back on the accuracy of our GPX file.
Regards
Andy
Posted: Tue 5th Jan 2021, 20:53
Hello everyone
I am trying to get hold of a copy of the guidebook for the Bowland-Dales Traverse, written by John Gillham and published in 1992. It's mentioned in the LDPs database ( https://ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_publication.php?publication_id=1010 ) but is no longer in print.
If anyone know where I might be able to source this book, I'd be really grateful if you could let me know.
Thanks
Adam

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law