Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Ash Die Back Disease

Author: John Roberts
Posted: Mon 11th Jan 2021, 12:06
Local Group: South Wales
Hi
I met an actual forester from the Forest of Dean working in local woods. So.
Landowners' responsibility all right. Wood can be sold if not too diseased. As so many trees are infected there is no point in clearing to prevent spread - it's too late. However, some trees are immune, and it's hoped that they will come to dominate and replace the losses. Not for me to see, sadly!
Author: David Holland
Posted: Sat 9th Jan 2021, 10:42
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
I have several ash trees in my garden. So do many others in my area. My responsibility to deal with them. Best to fell them in early stages of the disease whilst they are climbable. If left too long much more problematic and costly to fell. Tree surgeons insurance will not cover climbing badly diseased trees. Very grey area as to what third party liability you have. But would probably go against you if it could be proved that you knew the tree to be diseased. All very sad.
Posted: Tue 5th Jan 2021, 12:04
Wales. Red dots. Should hope so, too.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 31st Dec 2020, 16:15
Local Group: Mid Wales
Red dots here in Wales.
More than that I don't know 🌳.
Posted: Tue 22nd Dec 2020, 20:53
Some questions from my recent walks around the Cotswold Edge. Around Nailsworth: lots of Ash marked for removal, by a blue dot. Around Painswick: lots of Ash, but no marked trees. I was told that it's the landowners' responsibility to remove diseased trees. Is this the case? What about compensation and enforcement? Some trees I have seen are very hard to get to. And who is carrying out the work of identifying diseased trees on private and common land? As Die Back spores can be blown several miles, and seeing how many ash trees there are, all this seems somewhat urgent. Enlighten me, please.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law