Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hills and Hill Registers - Selkirkshire Co Top

Author: David Findel-Hawkins
Posted: Tue 6th Oct 2020, 9:02
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thanks Peter. That is just the answer I was looking for.
Author: Peter Ibison
Posted: Sat 3rd Oct 2020, 19:58
Local Group: Staffordshire
Hi David,
Looked up Broad Law in Wikipedia which mentions boundary changes- not sure if that answers your question.
Peter
Posted: Sat 3rd Oct 2020, 8:38
Thanks for the reply Andy but it doesn't clarify the picture. I'm aware most sources give Broad Law as the top. I was looking for someone to explain why Wikipedia is different. Have the Selkirkshire boarders changed at some time?
Author: Andy Clark
Posted: Fri 2nd Oct 2020, 13:15
Local Group: Kent
I have no knowledge of this specific area but I have recently read Victoria Morris' book ‘Highpoints' which was published earlier this year. This covers her walk from John O'Groats to Land's End via the highest point of every county. There was a feature on her walk in Strider 140 (April 2018) and this does mention Broad Law.
The quote from her book reads ‘... the Megget Stone marks the boundary between the historic counties of Selkirkshire and Peeblesshire; Broad Law is considered the County Top of both'.
I don't know if this is any help to you.
Posted: Fri 2nd Oct 2020, 10:13
Wikipedia, in it's list of Scottish County Tops, has Dun Rig as the county top of Selkirkshire. Many other sources have Broad Law.

Can anyone explain why?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law