Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The Lap, Windermere

Author: Tony Hill
Posted: Wed 2nd Dec 2020, 10:19
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thanks for your message Tony.

If I may, I'd like to take this opportunity to explicitly comment on the comparison between commercial running/walking events and those put on by the LDWA.

It's quite simple really... the LDWA is the gold standard!

In my experience, none of the other events, despite their extra funding, comes close.

Finally, good luck with the Lakeland 50!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 1st Dec 2020, 20:42
Local Group: Lakeland
Tony,
Congratulations on a remarkable performance. It was clearly a well organised and enjoyable event. I know that this was not your intention, but I do get a little irked at the implied comparison with LDWA events. The Lap had almost 200 entries with an entry fee of £80 giving an event income of £15,000+.

I am one of the lead organisers of the Spring in Lakeland 50 which we are still hoping to put on in April if we can find a way of coping with the Covid restrictions. We will be allowed a maximum of 150 entries at a fee of £20 (if all entries are for the 50 mile option) giving maximum income of £3,000.
Posted: Sun 20th Sep 2020, 7:25
Thanks again David.

I have sent you an email, with further detail, this morning.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Sat 19th Sep 2020, 20:46
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Tony
This is great to hear. All feedback is welcome so please do email me at chair@ldwa.org.uk
Thanks very much indeed.
Regards
David
Posted: Sat 19th Sep 2020, 10:18
Many thanks David.

Although it was rather exhilarating to be taking part in a tough walk again, I have to say that commercial running events are not a patch on the real (LDWA) thing!

Finally, as the LDWA continues its deliberations, I'd be very happy to share more detail about my own recent, and positive, COVID-secure experience.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Fri 18th Sep 2020, 9:39
Local Group: South Wales
Well done Tony and thanks for posting the requirements at the event you attended.
The NEC has been working really hard in recent weeks in relation to the ever changing rules for social walks and we started work on the rules for challenge walks over a month ago. We're really close to sending them out to the Local Groups for a two week consultation process. We'll then meet with the Local Group representatives by Zoom once an opportunity for consultation with Local Group members has taken place.
The rules that we have drafted are similar (although not exclusively so) to that you have listed.

These are really difficult times and we're also having to balance what we can do legally versus the impression that others form of seeing several people walking in the countryside who might not have the same legal knowledge based on what the regulations actually allow.

I do hope that all who read my response appreciate that we're doing all we can to get things moving.

Thank you for representing the LDWA at the event and well done on your achievement.

Regards,

David
Posted: Fri 18th Sep 2020, 7:29
Thanks Janet. I hope you are well...

Despite the restrictions, it was wonderful to be out on a long challenging walk again.

In the absence of LDWA events, I'm planning to do the Gower Peninsula 50 miler in October. It's a beautiful part of the country!
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Thu 17th Sep 2020, 18:35
Local Group: Marches
Tony - well done. Congratulations. A great achievement.
Posted: Mon 14th Sep 2020, 20:36
I have been a member of the LDWA for fifteen years and this is my first post!

Last weekend I took part in a commercial walking/running event of 47 miles and 8200 feet of ascent around Lake Windermere.

It was challenging, great fun and most importantly, I believe, a COVID-secure event.

Special measures included:
1. Pre-registration the evening before - in a six hour time window
2. Forehead temperature check at pre-registration
3. Competitor assembly in large field with (huge) social distancing before start
4. Wave start of batches of 20 people at one minute intervals
5. Outdoor checkpoints - with individual food portions available in compostable pots
6. No touch drink dispensation
7. GPS tracking for event start/finish and checkpoint arrival
8. Finish meal served outside
9. Masks to be worn if competitor goes inside for toilet, for example.
10. No gathering at finish.

Finally, I was delighted to represent the LDWA in this running event and become the first, and only, over 70 year old ever to have finished - in 14hr 25 minutes.

Kind regards

Tony Hill

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law