Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Shoe mileage

Author: John Dally
Posted: Mon 6th Apr 2020, 22:33
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Reference sole parting from shoes. I use Saloman shoes and have taken to carrying plastic gardener's ties - the sort of thing that you use to secure plants to poles etc - as a precaution as I once had to persuade a companion to sacrifice his laces by cutting them in half so that I could finish the event. Wonder if the manufacturers are aware of this problem. Don't remember this problem in the past.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Tue 31st Mar 2020, 9:52
Local Group: South Wales
Not directly related to Event walking but I thought it might be useful to share my experience with day-to-day shoes:
For several years I have used the same 'model' of Mountain Warehouse shoe for my daily walks and my 7 mile morning walk alone means that I cover at least 2,500 miles per year. I get on average about 1 year wear before the soles start to leak due getting thin. For my feet I find them really comfortable straight out of the box.
Author: Pieter van Der Westhuizen
Posted: Tue 31st Mar 2020, 5:14
Local Group: Marches
My Salomons probably lasted for 600 or so miles, but like others on here, the sole came away on one shoe mid-walk. I had to untie some string on a compass and tie in around the shoe to get finished. Years ago I had a pair of Nike trainers with the old waffle soles and these must have done well over 1,000 miles of running and walking. They could have lasted even longer if my dear wife hadn't thrown them out!
Author: Adrian Gosling
Posted: Wed 11th Mar 2020, 0:11
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I am just about to replace a pair of Innov 8 Rocklite 345s with graphene.
Bought for the fellsman last year and used on the Hadrian and a couple of other 50s as well.
The water resistance did not last very long and the stitching has started to come away as well.
The Grips are well worn but still more traction than a pair of Salomons.
you trade longevity for comfort and lightness on the feet with these shoes.
Given the sort of intensive use we give them, a year of 100s, Fellsmans and regular challenges is going to wear out the fabric shoes in no time.
My experience with Salomon and Innov 8 is that they start to go where the shoe creases near the laces and then its game over.
Grips on Salomons are poor and don't last that long - but I find their lightweight boots comfy on the long haul events.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 1st Mar 2020, 19:38
Local Group: Lakeland
Guy,
I have just bought a pair of Inov-8 G345 boots. I will report on their wear performance - hopefully it will take a little while.
Posted: Tue 25th Feb 2020, 19:22
Hi, don't know if this is of any help in trying to get extra mileage out of shoes. My problem is the lower part of the shoe beginning to slowly detach from the upper portion, particularly annoying when the tread obviously has many miles left in it. I have discovered that a particular glue featuring a great ape provides an extremely strong bond, enabling further use of the shoe. In fact, I believe the bond to be even stronger than when new and, even if you are worried about getting them past equipment checks - as we all know, they can be picky - in my opinion the shoes are perfectly okay for training.
Author: Guy Evans
Posted: Tue 25th Feb 2020, 9:29
Local Group: Thames Valley
Does anybody have any experience with the Innov8 "G-Series" (with graphene). Do they last longer or is it just marketing cr*p?
Author: Stewart Brady
Posted: Fri 21st Feb 2020, 12:57
Local Group: East Lancashire
I am sure these figures are about right. It costs more per mile for shoes than fuel costs for my (diesel) car.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 21st Feb 2020, 11:04
Local Group: Lakeland
I have a pair of Salomon fabric boots bought las May that need replacing before I start walking LDPs this spring. Difficult to say how many miles I have walked in them as I have three pairs of boots/shoes for different conditions, but your600-700 figure sounds about right. As a generalisation I think manufacturers are focussing on light weight with a trade off in reduced life.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2020, 19:44
Local Group: South Wales
Hi John

I started to keep mileage records on my respective boots and shoes as I had felt that I wasn't getting the mileage I thought I ought to. My experience in relation to the trainers that I wear is that 500 miles is the maximum I can expect. A different brand shoes usually reach 700 and my recent pair of walking boots are showing signs of wear and tear at 600 miles which is very disappointing. I do theorise that if companies made things last too long, then they'd sell less so perhaps the longevity isn't there anymore.
Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2020, 16:58
Looking for a bit of feedback. A few months back I purchased 3 pairs of walking trainers of a well known brand and two of them have started to fall apart at around the 500 mile mark, i.e the uppers are detaching from the lower part of the shoe. This has not normally been the problem in the past where my main problem has been the webbing in the area of the toes being ripped apart by heather fairies. Can anyone advise me if 500 to 600 mile is the norm nowadays, or have I just been unlucky. The shoes I have earmarked for Woldsman, Fellsman an d the 100 have to date only done around 80 miles and I am saving them as I don't want to find them disintegrating in the middle of one of these events. Any advice would be appreciated, especially regarding shoe makes.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law