Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - 100% waterproof

Author: Nick Ford
Posted: Fri 10th Aug 2007, 3:04
Local Group: The Irregulars
Suanders used to do an excellent poncho (Dont know if they still do. I've used mine on a few LDP as it is light and easy enough to slip on during showers, keeping me dry and warm (not sweaty hot) when walking. A bit expensive, but well made, a good size (well past the knees) and a large enough hump to fit over any size rucksac.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2007, 16:16
I bought a pink plastic cape for the equivalent of about 30p in Slovakia a few years ago. All the Slovakian walkers we met carried one of these rather than a more techy (& expensive) waterproof. It worked well in torrential downpours but not when combined with gales. I've seen school/tourist groups wearing the same kind of thing here. However, if you really wanted to splash out, you can get a more robust cycle cape for £13 from Raleigh at http://www.raleigh.co.uk For us ladies, these garments have the added advantage of providing privacy if caught short without suitable tree or wall cover!
Author: David A Millard
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2007, 13:53
Local Group: West Yorkshire
During the current monsoon season I have seen 1 or 2 walkers wearing capes/ponchos. Does anyone know the maker and where they can be obtained.
Posted: Wed 28th Feb 2007, 15:29
PS. Forgot to say thanks for all the useful information. I'm glad that there are 2 other people out of over 130 viewers that also wear waterproofs!!!
Posted: Wed 28th Feb 2007, 13:41
I have now purchased an army surplus gore-tex coat at the cost of £20 delivered. Has kept out a lot of rain so far, lightweight and small pack size and above all reasonable price for breathable coat.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 17th Nov 2006, 23:59
Local Group: Marches
Aldi do a really good 3 in 1 walking jacket for £19.99. It seems quite waterproof, and the zip out fleece is a good idea to help temperature control.

For real rain- proofing my preferred garment is a poncho - waterproof - also can be worn over your ruck sack, very breathable, and costs £3.99!
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 17th Nov 2006, 17:31
Local Group: Surrey
Don't bother with the "breathable". If you're walking hard, you're going to sweat no matter what. Breathable linings might make a difference in theory, but little difference in practice. I find it is best to put on a waterproof when it is raining, sweat, then take it off and dry out by evaporation in the rain stops. If the rain doesn't stop, I walk wet and warm - which I would be doing with the breathable jacket anyway.
Posted: Fri 17th Nov 2006, 14:02
I am looking for a 100% waterproof and breathable coat for not a lot of money. I want just a single skin waterproof that will pack away into a small bundle to carry inbetween downpours to prevent getting unnecessarily hot. If I need to use it in cold weather I will just wear a fleece underneath. Any suggestions/recommendations/disapprovals???

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law