Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Unofficial Events.

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Wed 15th Nov 2006, 21:33
Local Group: Heart of England
We really enjoy taking part in official challenge events and we are very grateful to the organisers for providing us with ready-made routes that we know exist and that we can do again anytime. Fabulous!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 15th Nov 2006, 20:58
Local Group: Mid Wales
The lifeblood and soul of the ldwa are the official challenge events - nothing can replace these, nor should it.

But I think that where some of the old challenges (or new ideas) are no longer viable; due to regulations, lack of available helpers, lack of walkers, logistics, cost etc. then why not use this forum as a place to chuck in an idea and see who wants to come along. On here an idea can reach likeminded members from all over the country.

I have wanted to put on our overnight 'Blue Moon' event again - but it will never happen officially as there is no way our group can meet basic safety requirements, or manage the organisation. But maybe autumn of 2007, when there is a good harvest moon one weekend, I might decide to go for a wander - if anyone wants to tag along, self supported of course. Matt.
Author: David Giles
Posted: Wed 15th Nov 2006, 8:50
Local Group: Sussex
matt,I think yours is a great idea and id be up for your "unofficial" jaunts. Like(i guess) the majority of members,it makes me so,so sad that rules and regulations are starting to increasingly impinge on something that I feel passionate about. With some ldwa events struggling for entries it concerns me that this trend will see more lost from the calander as people are put off by red tape(to a "virgin" entrant a kit check can seem imposing).Oh no,this is starting to sound like a moan!last thing I want,just feel very protective of ldwa(and concerned it could mirror the FRA and its recent troubles).No doubt this debate will come and go into the future,but at least we are debating it. Now off to find those high heels!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Wed 15th Nov 2006, 8:31
Local Group: Marches
That's a great idea. Perhaps some of us could get together to walk some of the overnight events that have died out? The difficulty would be carrying food, although I suppose food parcels could be left at points along the way to serve as check points?
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 14th Nov 2006, 21:57
Local Group: Mid Wales
Reading the thread on 'Kit Checks', it is clear that walking, exactly the same as fell running, is going down the same over regulated route (for some participants taste). There is much dissent, currently in the fell running world concerning links with UKA etc - and over regulation. I am not knocking the organisers of events, there is no alternative choice for them/us.
But some runners are starting to kick against this trend.
Last year there was a little 2 day event which involved a group of us run/walking Snowdon, Cadair, Pumlumon and Pen y Fan and cycling between them. All interspersed with food stops and beer overnight, a fantastic social and sporting weekend !! This was a 'non event' put together by the participants and their families/ helpers.

Next year we shall be doing it again, also planning an attempt on the Dragons Back (5 day). Now nobody will ever put this on again as an organised event, logistics and expense would be horrendous. But there is nothing to stop a group of like minded persons getting together and attempting it.

I might add that these are organised as a direct result of the website chat forum - a powerfull tool. So if you have a mega-challenge, that no group will ever organise, why not suggest it here, organise it here and complete it as you want, with like minded walkers?. Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law