Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Rugged Smartphone

Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Fri 20th Mar 2020, 15:59
Local Group: South Wales
Mark:

Did your Ulefone 3W come with a European 2-pin charger like my one did?
Posted: Tue 3rd Mar 2020, 23:13
Thanks Mark for that useful review. I bought the 3W and just getting it set up. I have Memory Map on it but I think I prefer the Locus Maps app with OpenAndroMaps which have better location of footpaths and being vector maps stay sharp even at high zoom levels.
Author: Mark Webb
Posted: Sun 5th Jan 2020, 10:50
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
I've been using the Toughphone Defender Pro for 3 years and loved it, but managed to break the screen and battery fixing. So I've reluctantly got talked into purchased the cheaper Ulefone Amor 3W (2019) by my 20 year old techno savy son. The new phone has twice the battery life of the Defender, last charged it 12 days ago and it's still on 52%. Which is important to me as I do a lot of long distance walking and wild camping. I couldn't have changed the route like I did on my LEJOG last year, without a phone like this. Walked it in 62 days, with 58 wild camping nights.
I've reviewed the phone here: https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/01/02/ulefone-armor-3w-rugged-smartphone-review/ . I've been very impressed with it, It seems better than my previous phone. I've down loaded all the 1/50,000 OS mapping onto it, which works perfectly with the GPS.
I love these rugged waterproof phones and wouldn't consider a long distance hike without one. I think they are worth the extra cost. I've walked the Cape Wrath Trail, TGO Challenge coast to coast across Scotland and Lands End to John O'Groats with a tough waterproof phone and I recon it's saved me days over the walks, always knowing exactly were I am is very reassuring. Safer too.
Author: Jason Winney
Posted: Tue 31st Dec 2019, 17:45
Hi Bill

I've been using the AGM A8 for the past few years, it's very weather proof and handles being dropped on hard surfaces well.

It's relatively cheap compared to standard smart phones, it's water proof for around 30 mins in a foot of water.

Jason
Posted: Wed 6th Nov 2019, 10:26
I would be interested to hear of any experiences with so-called ruggedised and water-resistant smartphones. I have looked at some reviews and seen brands like Blackview and Ulephone mentioned. any recommendations?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law