Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - The Y 100 Sir Fynwy Ultramarathon

Author: Ian Brazier
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020, 9:59
Local Group: Essex & Herts
I've had no chance getting some where to stay so bringing my camper. The Car Park isn't "camper friendly" So anyone else bringing a small car sized camper and found somewhere to park?

Ian
Author: Sara Fabien
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020, 9:40
Local Group: London
Whoops just realised my query doesn’t belong here...posting in the correct sub post!
Author: Sara Fabien
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020, 9:23
Local Group: London
Hello, looking at the gpx files on the website and note that sections of the route are not plotted as yet (I like to be prepared and have them available should I find myself nearby and able to recce part of the course). Just wondering when they might be complete? No pressure at all, just a question

Thank you, Sara
Author: John Dally
Posted: Sat 25th Jan 2020, 19:02
Local Group: East Yorkshire
My recent post should have gone to the discussion on Self - Clipping. Sorry, don't know what happened. Almost certainly my fault.
Author: John Dally
Posted: Sat 25th Jan 2020, 18:56
Local Group: East Yorkshire
What you describe is petty., even for The Fellsman with its myriad of rules. I can only assume that the state of your footwear's soles caused concern as I have never seen that happen on any of my many Fellsmans. I can further assume that you must have broken into your emergency rations as was discovered during the event with a fellow walker who had done so. Fortunately he had other none emergency food still on him, so was allowed to continue. I have never known any sort of check take place after the finish. Self clips are virtually unknown on The Fellsman and I can think of only two occasions when they were in place. Finally, the collection of the tallies has always been Fellsman policy, I was told that it was a safety check that all were accounted for. I have been told that all tallies are checked that they have the correct style of clips at each location, but I doubt this and have never known anyone disqualified.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Sun 3rd Nov 2019, 9:13
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi There
Mistake on my previous post Chepstow not Cheltenham
Posted: Thu 5th Sep 2019, 21:57
Hi Alan
Thank you for making time and getting back to me hopefully I will get a place . I have already booked my hotel in Cheltenham.
But not a bad alternative is to do the marshals walk and volunteer .
Many thanks Jeff.
ps sorry about the spelling mistake on the last post I rush my posts and dont check
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Thu 5th Sep 2019, 20:49
Local Group: Wiltshire
What concerns me is the significant level of volunteer effort, and checkpoint cost that is being expected to support a relatively small number of the entrants. The question is why?

To me a 30 hr maximum pace is reasonable for what is a walking event. Looking at this year a maximum pace of 30 hours affects ~20 entrants. To support them there is more that a day of extra checkpoint opening times to support them, and over a man month (probably 2) of additional volunteer effort.

There are only so many marshals available.
Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Thu 5th Sep 2019, 9:40
Local Group: Thames Valley
Jeff

Thank you for your input.

Please see / re-read Strider number 144 August 2019 edition page 34. This scenario was one of many discussed within the workshop and recognised. In the very unlikely event of the situation you describe ever occurring then the person affected could apply under ‘exceptional’ circumstances should they not secure a place through the main event ballot. Of course they could always avoid this by volunteering to help out on the main event and take part in a marshals’ event.

Kind regards

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator.
Posted: Wed 4th Sep 2019, 22:51
My only problem with this is the rule change where you do not differentiate between older members and new members that may have joined the Ldwa just to do the one 100 mile.
That means if in the event of a ballot someone who starts every 100 may miss out on this one. which seams unfair
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Wed 4th Sep 2019, 21:09
Local Group: South Wales
Intersting point.

No non-members will enter Y 100 Sir Fynwy so it's a LDWA event through and through. Whether the members shuffle, jog or walk, they're all LDWA members.

And, LDWA members have been completing the 100 in times faster than 24 hrs from the very creation of the event. Sub 24 hrs is nothing new on the LDWA 100, so please let's be realistic about how the event has attracted members of various abilities.

This graph was used in 2014 and encouraged several members to start at 2pm. This time it's being used to demonstrate what sort of time one might wish to start at because we have had no choice but to implement a staggered start due to safety reasons.

The committee members who have done this work are experienced LDWA 100 entrants and have been for many, many years.

Finally, I will be amazed if anyone completes Y 100 Sir Fynwy in under 24 hours.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Wed 4th Sep 2019, 19:21
Local Group: Sherwood
If there are enough places for everyone who wants to enter to do so, then well and good. But if walkers are failing to get a place because of the number of entries from runners, then this needs looking at.
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Wed 4th Sep 2019, 10:24
Local Group: Wiltshire
Agree 100%

FWIW personaly I would go further and set a minimum time of 30 hours.
Author: Don Arthurs
Posted: Wed 4th Sep 2019, 8:41
Local Group: Kent
"But we will allow 14:00 starters through should they arrive before a checkpoint opening time. In this latter case we will have got the opening times wrong and it wouldn't be fair to penalise such entrants. This will allow them to travel as fast as they like and finish in less than 22 hours."

This of course being aimed at walkers. Given we publish finish times and the order people finish in, something which in itself I've come to strongly disagree with for an apparently 'completely non competitive' WALKING organisation, you've basically turned this into a running Ultramarathon event.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law