Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Insect repellent - how can I get my flies to drop off?

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Sun 6th May 2007, 22:02
Local Group: High Peak
unfortunately you can't get it in the blue, only green and pink.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sun 6th May 2007, 7:33
Local Group: Northumbria
Just so you know. Avon have an offer on their website (www.avonshop.co.uk). THe Skin-So-Soft Soft and Sensual Boby Spray is £5 but buy one get one free. The Skin-So-Soft Soft and Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray is reduced from £5 to £1.50. I can't believe I'm writing this.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 21:44
Local Group: Heart of England
This reminds me of a backpacking trip a few years ago in the Cairngorms in July (stupid time of year to go there!). After 6 days of walking and wild camping, I went to a 'proper' campsite to have a shower. To my horror I saw my face! I had been using a citronella-based roll-on repellent and my face was absolutely covered in tiny black specks. Of course, I had checked into the campsite and passed the time of day with other campers by this time. They must have wondered what was wrong with me! But, more importantly. I did not have any actual bites. Perhaps that is the answer - stick as many of the blighters as you can onto your skin and all the others will be scared off!!
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 20:19
Badger Balm again! Rivals WD40 for usefulness. Thanks for the ideas folks. I fear that the midges in Hamsterley Forest warrant industrial strength product applied with an emulsion roller. I'll try the Avon product and a mosquito net and report back
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 17:53
Avon SSS works for us but midge nets still often required.

I think you will find that tHe Scottish rescue services use SSS
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 11:32
I'd also heard about the Avon product, although I read somewhere (scientific journal??) that it was completely unproven, and that experiments showed no benefits. However, stories about it still circulate - the latest being from the instructor at a local dog-training class, who suggested it was good for dogs! The Badger repellant works about as well as the lower percentage deet products, but is still perfumed. Equal parts of citronella oil and meths (wiped on externally, not drunk) works OK for daytime walking but is less effective at dusk. For serious midge attack, though, nothing works as well as a protective net body suit!!
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 8:34
Try Badger Balm natural repellant-miracle stuff that comes in a nice tin and contains no nasty chemicals.
It was recommended by a friend who had been hiking in Australia and I have found it to work brilliantly. Even repelled horseflies that seemed impervious to any chemical stuff !
Author: Huw Bryn Jones
Posted: Tue 5th Dec 2006, 15:13
Local Group: Thames Valley
When walking I avoid ALL scented soap, shampoo, etc. Just stick to Wrights coal-tar soap.

Otherwise would you believe Detol & baby oil?
See here...
http://www.moxon.net/malaysia/walking_the_rainforest.html#footnote1
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Tue 31st Oct 2006, 21:00
Local Group: High Peak
i've heard Avon do a product, it is not designed as an insect repelent it's a body spray called
Skin So Soft Dry Oil Body Spray

I hear the army use it as well cost is about £2 -£2.50
Posted: Mon 30th Oct 2006, 22:29
I get a terrible itching reaction from insect bites. DEET based insect repellent works fine on a day walk but there are limits to how much I want to bathe myself in chemicals on a two week walking holiday.

I have heard that marmite (internally rather than externally) works. Is there anything else I can do?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law