Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Waterproofs on HH

Author: Gordon Teal
Posted: Thu 6th Jun 2019, 1:33
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Ralph
I wore a Jack Wolfskin Humboldt jacket and some Jack Wolfskin Texapore trousers - combined with Meindl boots and smartwool socks I was dry as a bone after cross fell - infact all the way round - the clothes did however not stop me developing 'the leans' towards the end.
Author: Paul Glynn
Posted: Wed 5th Jun 2019, 14:30
Local Group: Cumbria
Hi Ralph, I last saw you at Greg's Hut (where it was pretty much standing room only). You might remember me as the southerner from Wessex that joined your group on the 2016 Woldsman.

I also wore a Paramo Velez jacket on the hundred this year. It was perfect, but was brand new this being it's first outing. If we could restore these jackets to their factory waterproofness then they would not leak. That said, even my jacket let in a small amount of water through the back of the neck when driven by the strong wind.

My overtrousers were ultralight Berghaus but with several large rips already in them from previous outings. They did not keep me dry obviously but vitally kept me a bit warmer.

Regards
Author: Sean Flynn
Posted: Sat 1st Jun 2019, 20:05
Hi Ralph, I survived reasonably well, one base layer, second long sleeved base layer added at Greg’ Hut and a Paramo Quito outer layer. Water did slowly seep in round the hood, up the sleeves a bit and only a bit round the waist once I got the waterproof trousers on, again at Greg’s Hut. As Mike says the two base layers don’t hold that much water and the combined layers were enough for me to maintain a comfortable level of warmth. Cowshill reservoir area was the coolest I felt so the improving day came as a relief.
I’ve only had the Quito a few months and hadn’t used it much, more of a warm weather top so this was in at the deep end with a vengeance and though it is a bit light weight for Paramo it worked well for me.
Sen
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 31st May 2019, 10:36
Local Group: Dorset
I have found that in driving rain over the duration of a 100, almost any kind of waterproofs will eventually let in some water. It wicks in, blows in, creeps in, soaks in - and slowly spreads all over ... My solution is to use a lightweight shell jacket (Goretex or equivalent) and several (as many as required) lightweight synthetic base layers. Good base layers work fine for me and are comfortable, even when damp through. They are not as heavy as a thicker (and soggy) fleece, and soon dry out. I have no experience of using Paramo in such conditions although I have a Paramo jacket, and find it is good on shorter wet days in winter. I like the soft feel and comfort. But it is quite heavy when dry - and even heavier when wet
Author: Dave Clifton
Posted: Fri 31st May 2019, 9:09
Local Group: Northumbria
As you will all know our group walks can be quite an event when raining snowing windy or simply sunny and those of you who remember previous Northumbria 100s will know there are lots more mountains and hills and moors to challenge what the choice of clothing will be. When its expected to be not too bad but weather forecast is rain at times I use a regatta pack away coat, compact and fits into the back pack in a small ball. The downside is its not that breathable but I have a nose etc for that . Gloves I have a couple of pairs of Extreme and a little tip that I learnt was if hands are cold then handwarmers, if wet then I put on a pair of latex gloves and put my main gloves back over the top. I have berghaus waterproof pants with zips right up both sides so I can get my boots on and off . They have only now let me slightly down after 4 years of use. I also use gaiters (black Crystal ) to additional keep mud etc at bay.
Author: Jo Dixon
Posted: Tue 28th May 2019, 20:54
After realising my (ridiculously expensive) waterproof pants had a tear I bought an emergency pair from Regatta for £9.99, they kept me dry throughout the whole event. Really can't fault them.
Author: Ralph Warman
Posted: Tue 28th May 2019, 19:47
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Did you manage to keep dry on the Hadrians 100 ? If so what were you wearing ?
My Paramo Velez Smock and Rab over trousers leaked big style.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law