Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - kit question 2

Author: Patrick Barry
Posted: Mon 13th May 2019, 12:38
Local Group: South Manchester
Before the Fellsman, I was having a bit of a moan about the "OTT" kit list. As has been previously said the conditions this year were pretty horrific, I ended up wearing nearly everthing I had bar one one inner layer. As has been said on other threads don't leave it too late putting extra gear on. I was pretty chilly arriving in Fleet Moss, and it took a couple of cups of the hot drinks and getting a lot more gear on before I was ready to continue on.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Wed 8th May 2019, 21:07
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Thanks for that ken i will check it out.
Many thanks jeff
Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Wed 8th May 2019, 20:59
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
I had six layers on going over Cross Fell in the night and was comfortably warm! The wind had kindly dropped almost completely, but if it had been as forecast with a 'feel like -9 degrees', even that might not have been enough! The Cross Fell Mountain Forecast at https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Cross-Fell/forecasts/885 may be useful when deciding how much clothing to take.
Posted: Wed 8th May 2019, 19:30
Thanks for the information but if the weather is bad I take warmer clothes and a bigger coat.
The Fellsman this year was extremely wet and cold through the night I got saturated by 6pm
and had to use my emergency poncho to keep warm for the final stage so will be taking that as
Back up.
Many thanks Jeff
Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Wed 8th May 2019, 10:03
Local Group: Northumbria
This topic is a difficult one to respond to. The Kit list is a minimum standard. If that was all you had with you on Saturday night then you would have suffered from hypothermia, but last year in Kent your fleece would have stayed in your pack.
All I can suggest is that you keep an eye on the weather forecast and have enough to keep you warm under the prevailing conditions. Remember it can be very cold on the long descent off Cross Fell when your body is not generating any heat and you are starting to get tired anyway.
Posted: Tue 7th May 2019, 15:52
Hi There
Thanks for your response I normally take a heavy merino base layer plus 2 lighter merino base layers plus a
fleece. Would you think I should take A normal hooded fleece as well for safety.

Many thanks for taking time to reply to my comment jeff
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Tue 7th May 2019, 12:35
Local Group: Wiltshire
I will at this point refer you (or anyone else) to the post on the previous thread.

It is a [b[long[/b] descent from Dun Fell, for many at the coldest part of the night.

It is not just carrying the kit , it is knowing when to use it. (On a safety basis the comments made by the safety car team were to me concerning if the weather on the main event is anything like what we had)
Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Tue 7th May 2019, 11:30
Local Group: Northumbria
It is a fleece so technically, yes. BUT if the weather is like it was on the Marshals it may not actually be warm enough in practice. I will leave you to think about that one
Posted: Mon 6th May 2019, 6:55
Hi There
I have just purchased the Hadrians 100 hoody will this be sufficient for the fleece requirement
for the kit check.
Regards jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law