Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Kit question - hat?

Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Sun 5th May 2019, 22:42
Local Group: Northumbria
As long as it keeps your head warm and you can stop it from blowing off
Author: Phil Bedson
Posted: Fri 3rd May 2019, 17:16
Local Group: East Lancashire
Bill Milbourne, terribly sorry if I seem to be pedantic but I usually wear a Tilley style hat so is that an acceptable hat or is a woollen one the preferred option?
Posted: Sun 28th Apr 2019, 17:38
To clarify this point, The Kit declaration form is just a checklist to confirm that you have all the equipment that is described in more detail in the event rules, see Rule 8 and 9. It is not the definitive list of the stuff you must have with you
If you are in any doubt, go back and read the actual rules again. You can find them all on the entries page of the Hadrian Hundred website. As applies in all of this sort of thing, ignorance of the rules is no excuse,
SO READ THE RULES
Author: Nicholas Cole
Posted: Sun 28th Apr 2019, 16:06
Local Group: London
I wondered the same thing - the kit list declaration is ambiguous doesn't really answer the question.
But going back to the rules it says: "An additional upper body layer to be worn or carried e.g. Long-sleeved Base Layer/Fleece."
So I think it's actually only one that's required although personally I usually end up carrying both.
Author: Dave Clifton
Posted: Sun 28th Apr 2019, 15:05
Hi you need to go into the Hadrian hundred web site there is a kit declaration required to be brought to the registration by all who are taking part. The answer to your question will be in the declaration.list.
Author: Jared Walbridge
Posted: Sun 28th Apr 2019, 14:11
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Sorry to ask another kit question. Can I just confirm if both a base layer and fleece are required.

Many thanks in advance - really looking forward to another great LDWA event!

Jared
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Sat 20th Apr 2019, 22:28
Local Group: Heart of England
...and how ironic that while typing my last post, I got so absorbed I forgot that I'd left the cold tap running in my post-race bath. Now running second bath.
Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Sat 20th Apr 2019, 22:26
Local Group: Heart of England
I didn't know that thing about the fluid lubricating the knee joints. Thanks Mike. I do know that on the Dorset Giant I came close to retiring. As I was about to leave the evening meal checkpoint, it occurred to me to switch from shorts to leggings. The fatigue in my legs went away. Fear of chafing keeps me from wearing them in the day.
Author: Dave Clifton
Posted: Wed 10th Apr 2019, 16:24
This is probably a good time as any to remind all entrants that it is important that they help out the checkpoint staff at Garigill if they feel that the long upward walk to the checkpoint below Cross Fell is not for them. I will be at Gregs Hut checkpoint and we simply don't have the space or facility to retire a number of people as its very difficult to get up the track in a vehicle even for us. So please everyone be honest at the checkpoint in Garigill where we will have better transport links rather than give it a go and find its too much. Dave Clifton Hadrian 100 H&S coordinator.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 10th Apr 2019, 12:10
Local Group: Dorset
I should perhaps have added that hypothermia could be a genuine risk in adverse weather conditions on this event. And it is often the case that a person suffering from this condition is completely unaware of what is actually wrong with them (it is more obvious to others, though) Nor is it something that only affects other people. The checkpoint marshals will have to make the decision whether an individual is fit to carry on. This is not something they want to do, but it becomes their responsibility. It is avoidable

The message here is - don't just carry your spare kit - USE IT when the conditions deteriorate. You may "lose" five minutes getting it out your bag and putting it on when it is needed, but that is much better than the wait in the checkpoint when you have had to retire, and the long dispiriting journey in the rescue bus back to base.

I have concluded that a number of retirements on 100's in poor weather are primarily due to the early stages of hypothermia, even if it is not recorded or diagnosed at the time. It may appear to be low morale of exhaustion. And that is often because someone did not want to "waste time" getting their spare kit out.
Author: Laura Turner
Posted: Wed 10th Apr 2019, 11:49
Local Group: South Wales
Many modern waterproof trousers are designed to be worn without any leggings or trousers underneath. Previously, the rules meant that trousers had to be carried regardless of whether the waterproof trousers were sufficient on their own. This rule change is therefore an improvement. I agree that it doesn't negate being sensible about carrying warm leg covering if the waterproofs are only lightweight. I just wanted clarification so I don't fail the kit check!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 10th Apr 2019, 8:38
Local Group: Dorset
It can get VERY cold on Cross Fell (even in May, in good weather). Wearing shorts may be OK during the day. At night, in windy conditions, cold legs can result in cramp, sore muscles and knee problems (because the lubricating fluid in the knee joint becomes more viscous as the temperature falls) That won't help you finish. So - even if it isn't actually raining, it is a good idea to keep comfortably warm.
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2019, 22:06
thank-you
Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2019, 19:03
Local Group: Thames Valley
Laura

If individuals are wearing non full length leg covering such as shorts then the mandatory waterproof trousers or waterproof over trousers would be sufficient.

Regards

Alan Warrington
100s Coordinator.
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2019, 17:35
Please could you confirm that if I'm wearing shorts and carrying waterproof trousers, I do not need additional long trousers? I thought the rules had changed to that effect, however there appears to be confusion amongst those I have asked, including some who are marshaling the event.
Posted: Thu 4th Apr 2019, 15:31
Just in case anyone thinks that we are being pedantic about this, there is a foot of snow on the top of the hills at the moment. You need to be able to keep warm
Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Wed 3rd Apr 2019, 21:13
Local Group: Thames Valley
Hi Marian

Thank you for the query. I am pleased that you sort clarification.

A proper hat as you describe and NOT a buff should provide far more protection should the weather prove inclement at any point during the event. For example, as Andrew highlights.

By all means feel free to carry a buff also.

Simple fact is that any individual not carrying all the items mentioned in the mandatory list Is simply going to fail the kit check(s) and will be subject to immediate disqualification. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Regards

Alan Warrington
100s Coordinator.
Author: Marian White
Posted: Wed 3rd Apr 2019, 20:43
Local Group: Marches
Sorry, I wasn't clear about my query - I was wondering what the logic was for not allowing a buff. If the criteria is indeed warmth, then yes, I'm fine adding a woolly hat to my bag.
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Wed 3rd Apr 2019, 19:15
Local Group: Wiltshire
I would suggest that the requirement for a hat is principally for the situation where for some reason you have to stop in the open (potentially overnight). In such a situation you will need a hat to help retain heat, a buff is unlikely to help much in such a situation.

If you want a different head covering over and above the minimum kit list then there is nothing stopping you carrying it.
Author: Marian White
Posted: Wed 3rd Apr 2019, 12:56
Local Group: Marches
Advice please. I would normally wear / carry a waterproof with a hood and, depending on the weather / temperature, either a knitted woolen beanie affair or a cotton buff doubled and twisted into a beanie style. The beanie style matters because it's the only way a head torch stays on my head/hair for more than 5 minutes.

I'm struggling with the kit list requirement of "Hat (not Buff/Bandana)" - if the forecast is warm, would a cotton buff-turned-into-a-beanie count? If not, would carrying the woolen beanie too be OK?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law