Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - charity 50 mile walk

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Tue 15th Apr 2008, 19:49
Local Group: High Peak
well i did this walk this year, (was injured last year)and i found it quite enjoyable, it takes you over stanage edge to baslow edge, through chatsworth park, over to youlgreave and up to bakewell via lathkin dale (unfortunately i arrived just to late to purchase a bakewell pudding) then on to the monsal trail and up to high rake down to calver and along the treelined riverbank past the mill(for those who are old enough to remember this is where the tv series Colditz was filmed)to froggat bridge, here you take the road to grindleford and up to foxhouse where bacon butties await, then over houndkirk moor to ringinglow where you drop down into the river valley where the old sheffield grinders made their money and on to the end.
The walk covers all terrains moorland, grass tracks, rough tracks, ex railway, woodland, road and mud, there's not a lot of road and is mainly at night, navigation is no problem and follows the LDWA tradition of have 2 mistakes in the route description, but thats why we carry maps
For those who like to partake in the amber nectar there are pubs aplenty at baslow, rowsley, youlgreave, bakewell, little longstone, and if you are quick calver and grindleford
IMHO this would make a good training walk for a hundred, not as hard as the bullocksmithy but has plenty of changes in terrain to build up that stamina and muscle
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Thu 26th Oct 2006, 22:14
Local Group: Marches
Karen - can you email me your postal address via the cantcanolbarth website and I will send you a pile of 100 flyers to take to the walk.
Good luck
Posted: Mon 23rd Oct 2006, 21:16
a good idea, i was thinking you could photocopy the events in strider as well, then i thought how ironic here we are trying to entice more people on to the walks when the web site will only allow two weeks worth of walks to be shown to non members when quite a few of the walks are organised by non members
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Mon 23rd Oct 2006, 14:20
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
It would be good to have something we could download to print and take to events. I printed off the home page, wrote the web address on the top, then took photocopies. It wasn't in colour, but was easy for me to do.
Author: Karen Jarvis Morgan
Posted: Mon 23rd Oct 2006, 10:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Oh great Ian, hopefully ill see you there, if you see a tall girl really flagging it will be me, just pick me up please dont step over me!! No idea where to get leaflets from to be honest, maybe I should post a questions, ill ask my walk leader see if he knows.
Posted: Sat 21st Oct 2006, 17:55
thanks for this i,ll probably do this as it's right on my doorstep.
Where do you get leaflets for the LDWA from?
Posted: Thu 19th Oct 2006, 16:30
good idea rebecca, favour for a favour, ill see if I can get some from someone.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Thu 19th Oct 2006, 15:44
Local Group: Marches
thats sounds great. Can you take some LDWA flyers to the event?
Posted: Thu 19th Oct 2006, 8:29
Ive been asked to post this on the LDWA website by Will. Its a charity 50 mile walk in aid of the british heart foundation, its £30 to enter and the guy is going to ask if he can put it in Strider the site is www.will4adventure.com and the event is called challenge4charity, its for a good cause and im going to attempt my first 50 miler so if anyone is interested in getting a team together or joining me, great. Im very nervous about navigation, I get lost going to the gate, so this is great for people like me as you can be asked to be put into a team when you get there. Think about it anyway.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law