Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Nordic Walking

Posted: Fri 8th Dec 2006, 7:54
is it me , but i find the click clack of those walking poles on roads really annoying. I use them but only on the hills . On the roads they offer little difference to just walking.maybe a rubber ferrule would be handy for the click, clackers?
Posted: Thu 26th Oct 2006, 17:03
Thanks for the comments lads but as normal "she who must be obeyed" has found out the cost of the poles and being a farmers daughter (and a Border one at that), she cannot understand why a good old Bullock Whacker cut out of a hedge will not do the job just as well and at hardly any cost. I rest my case.
David H
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Thu 26th Oct 2006, 10:23
Local Group: High Peak
well i used poles on the northumberland 100 all the way, because of my knees giving out on the previous 100 although i wasn't walking at race speed, but they did help me to finish feeling quite fresh so that i could run down the hill at the end after 45 hours, i did expect my hands to be blistered at the end but they were fine you couldn't tell i'd had them in my hands all that time, the poles I used were Leki Super Makalu
Posted: Sat 21st Oct 2006, 20:22
Two skie type poles the same size, use them as if you are marching but with heel and toe leg movement of the race walker, keep a lot of weight off knackered old knees or so I have heard but are they of use on say the LEJOG or a 100.
David H
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Sat 21st Oct 2006, 17:51
Local Group: High Peak
'scuse my ignorance but what do you class as nordic walking? I guess it's walking with poles , but which type of poles? the ones where the handles are in line with the pole or those where the handles are angled? or something completely different
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 20th Oct 2006, 20:57
Local Group: Dorset
I know someone who is quite experienced with Nordic Walking and tried using a pair of nordic walking poles on the Dorset Doddle (32 miles, very hilly and quite difficult ascents and descents)

They reported that it was not a good idea and at times it was a positive nuisance. I guess that the NW concept works best on flat good surfaces.
Posted: Wed 18th Oct 2006, 20:55
Has any one tried Nordic Walking on a challange or LDP and if so have they found it usefull or do they think it is just a fad.
David H

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law