Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - LEJOG+ Snowdon, Scafell Pike, Ben Nevis

Author: Mark Webb
Posted: Mon 17th Jun 2019, 16:50
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Thank you all.
I have written a piece on my LEJOG for the Strider magazine.
As for whats next..... I've been reading about the 1864 mile Te Araroa Trail and my kids have given me a book on walking the 2650 mile Pacific Crest Trail for my birthday today. I'm not fussy
Author: Annette Hack
Posted: Wed 5th Jun 2019, 14:06
Local Group: Thames Valley
Well done Mark, that is no mean feat, wild camping whilst doing this epic journey. I started LEJOG in April, walked for 41 days non stop getting to Gretna, over 600 miles! An amazing experience but booking accommodation, planning my route was all becoming harder, so I decided to stop there and will return to ‘bag’ Scotland in Sept/Oct. I think what made it enjoyable for me, was to know that I would have a bed, shower and decent meal at the end of the day. Accommodation is now booked booked and all I have to do is put one foot in front of the other, that’s the easy bit.

I guess the question now is “what are you doing next?” I also agree meeting so many people along the way was a massive part of the journey. I decided early on, on the SWCP I might have to stop eye contact as it was slowing my journey so much!!
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Tue 30th Apr 2019, 14:02
Local Group: East Lancashire
Congratulations.

If you kept notes or a diary you might like to write about your walk for Strider. Editor is Graham Smith, email address p2 of current issue.

Iain
Posted: Tue 30th Apr 2019, 13:34
Thankyou. I made it to John O'Groats on the 19th April in great weather making it a lovely last few days of walking. The LEJOG walk was mainly a mental game and I was surprised by the amount of interest and messages of support I received which help keep me going. People ask me what bit was the best and the answer is always the same.. The people I met were great. I recommend anyone who fancies this walk to do it but in warmer weather and have more days of rest and use B&Bs etc more often.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 30th Mar 2019, 22:13
Local Group: Surrey
Well done, Mark.
Your journey so far has been an epic, especially though Wales. It must be very difficult to keep morale up with the mental stresses of walking day after day, with the physical strain added to that, and then the rain and cold on top!
Wet tents are not fun and wet gear slims down the survival margins to a very uncomfortable level.
Snowdon looked a life-threatener in your photos.
I admire but don't envy you.
Good luck and keep going! Hopefully the weather will improve as April draws on.
Elton
Posted: Sat 23rd Mar 2019, 19:24
Hello - an update, I am getting on OK, even in the rough weather we've had lately. I have summitted Snowdon (in a blizzard), and I'm now near Preston. What an adventure this is proving to be.
Posted: Thu 14th Feb 2019, 12:45
I am setting off on my Lands End to John O'Groats via Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis wild camping walk on the 17th February 2019 if anyone wishes to follow my progress https://twitter.com/wildwalkinguk or my website wildwalkinguk.com.
I am experienced but don't think for a minute that this walk is anything like I've done before Cape Wrath Trail, Pennine Way etc.
I would appreciate any advice from anyone that has done this before....

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law