Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Ideas Forum - Cows

Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2018, 18:38
Local Group: Lakeland
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Thu 29th Nov 2018, 18:09
Local Group: Dorset
Athena, I hope you find the video clip from the previous reply helpful. On a recent group social walk, I mentioned your query to a member who has a lot of experience with farm animals. He confirmed some of the points in the clip, and added a few: walk at an even pace, don't make a lot of noise or shout, try not to have eye contact, and talk gently to them (I say 'hello Daisy, how are you?' or something equally nonsensical).

On another group walk when the cattle were crowding round a gate we wanted to go through, one of us moved them slowly by spreading his arms widely with his poles extended. That did the trick-perhaps he looked like an electric fence! I have tried spreading my arms when wanting to move them, and it does work (without waving them about or shouting).

I guess you know about cows and calves-not just in Spring time. Avoid getting between them, taking a wide berth even if you have to leave the footpath. Cows which are sitting down can't leap up very quickly. The other thing is that herds of yong bullocks can be very playful and it might be these you have seen galloping towards you. They are curious, not aggressive . Just stand your ground and they will stop, then carry on. Repeat as necessary.

There are some breeds of cattle which are very docile, but I am not the best placed to say which-although we have some down here which have very long horns and are as placid as it gets, even though they look frightening.

None of this is meant to underplay that care should always be taken around animals, and sad things do happen. Don't let it spoil your love of walking-your idea about being in a group huddle is a good move! Do explain to the walk leader that you are worried around cattle and I am sure they and other members will help as you build up your confidence.

Now, what do you know about horses...I like them firmly on the other side of the fence...
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Fri 23rd Nov 2018, 12:55
Local Group: Essex & Herts
This clip may ease your fears! https://www.facebook.com/FarmersGuardian/videos/vb.45093379305/579127269184471/?type=2&theater

Usually the cattle will just be following rather than chasing you.
Author: A L
Posted: Fri 23rd Nov 2018, 11:23
Local Group: South Manchester
Hello,
I love walking but recently I have developed a terrible fear of cows. I have been chased when I have done absolutely nothing and walking through quietly. It wasn't even spring. I have also seen others chased recently - with no dog, just walking etc.

Im training for a 100km walk and well this fear can ruin my plans as I turn back when I see a cow in a field or on the path or between me and a broken wall.
Is there certain cows which are really dosile? This is one reason why I joined the LDWA so I can get the distance in and huddle in the middle of the crowd!

What are proven practices to walk past a cow/herd of cows? Farmers say stay quiet, dont shue them or wave yoru arms around and definitely don't run.

Thanks,
Athena

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law