Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Ideas Forum - Entry forms

Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Mon 16th Oct 2006, 14:17
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Rebecca, if your local running shop will find a space for entry forms, I suggest you take some for the next LDWA event in your area, assuming runners are welcome. I also suggest you mark them "runners welcome" and put the address of this website. I've tried this for the Steppingley Step and Chiltern Kanter, but have no idea if it's attracted any entries.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Fri 13th Oct 2006, 20:47
Local Group: High Peak
i've seen the boxes next to the information boards you find next to places of interest i think mainly on NT land
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 13th Oct 2006, 18:31
Local Group: Marches
where are the boxes of leaflets placed? In local pubs etc? I wonder if outdoors shops have got any of our leaflets? I know our local running shop has entry forms which I think it displays free of charge so maybe worth taking a load of LDWA brochures there? I know people aren't going to agree with this, but i still think if a local walk has a charitable element to it, then it will attract more interest, and once hooked, we could then recruit them into the LDWA.....??? I must admit we do need to raise the profile as I had never even heard of the LDWA until a friend told me about it 4 years ago, and I used to buy all the walking magazines. Its just how and where.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Thu 12th Oct 2006, 21:15
Local Group: High Peak
there are people out there
i've done the wild ways walk from bakewell for the last 2 years, it has an entry list of 500 people and i've ever only met one person that i knew and only recognised a handful from other walks, everyone i have spoken to on this walk have never heard of the LDWA, I do my bit but maybe if the Strider appeared on the shelves of WH Smith (still free to members of course)I know this is a non starter but folk are out there
The chatsworth challenge always has a fair share of first timers and they find out from notices pinned up around the countryside and on the route weeks earlier.
i've also noticed boxes with leaflets in, around areas of interest, maybe the LDWA leaflet could be placed in one of these boxes
Posted: Thu 12th Oct 2006, 6:32
Yes this is probably part of the answer, 25 - 30 is a nice distance and could be promoted more.
Posted: Wed 11th Oct 2006, 22:26
the London marathon attracts so much interest - in fact, a marathon has become the generic term for something hard and strenuous - so why does the 100m, or the 100k events which is basically 2 back to back marathons plus some more attract so little interest? Is it because 1) - the majority of the population are not up to doing 100k or 100m events therefore they aren't interested in events they perseive as impossible or 2)The London marathon has gained so much publicity as it is on the back of a charity? the majority of the population persieve that running 26m is difficult but possible, but would feel that walking 100k or 100m is impossible. it all comes down to perseption. I think the LDWA perhaps need to market a 26m walk as a walkable marathon, to gain peoples interest, perhaps incorporating a proportion of the proceeds to go to a charitable organisation which people recognise such as cancer researchor the heart foundation to attract the lay person? maybe then, after enjoying the event would they consider joining the LDWA?
Posted: Wed 11th Oct 2006, 21:19
I like the idea of runners, as todays runners are tomorows walkers but not in relays or as teams.
David H
Posted: Wed 11th Oct 2006, 16:16
Good idea - I think runner friendly events will certainly attract more diverse interest. Does anyone know the cost of advertising in runners world? Also, I noticed that the coventry way and also the Round rotherham allows relay teams both walking and running relays - does anyone think this is a way forward to attract more revenue for the longer events such as 50's and 100k's who seem to be struggling to attract enough entrants? Walks under the banner of a charity also seem to do rather well - I presume the particular charity takes on some of the advertising?
Posted: Thu 5th Oct 2006, 17:05
no thank you
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Thu 5th Oct 2006, 16:20
Excellent idea Merrian. Do you fancy taking over as the next Publicity Officer on the National Committee?
Posted: Thu 5th Oct 2006, 15:23
It might be a good idea to include the address of the website on all entry forms, so if someone picks up a form, it gives them a link to further information. I know if they're really keen, they can search for the site, but an address would nudge them in the right direction. If you're distributing forms at an event that's mainly for runners it might also be a good idea to include "runners welcome" clearly on it because they might not pick up a form that has "Long Distance Walkers Association" at the top.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law