Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - to do the 100 or not...

Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 26th Oct 2018, 17:14
Local Group: Marches
Thanks Tony. That's made me feel a lot better. I totally agree that walking 100 is as much of a mental game as it is a physical one and you have to be in the 'right place' both mentally and physically. I think it is certainly a combination of factors - as you rightly say, getting my 10 badge was important to me and gave me the push to get through difficult moments, but once I had achieved that, finishing number 11 just didn't have the same pull....life has also been a lot more demanding than it used to be so it is harder for me to switch off and enjoy the event without secretly hoping that I finish on Sunday night so as I can enjoy a couple of pints to celebrate, get enough rest as I have so many things I need to get done for the rest of that week.....with that thought in my head it is no wonder that I start to lose the will when the speed drops down after the first night and I still have nearly half as much again to go and the reality of the celebratory pint on Sunday night starts to fade with the light.....Hadrians Walk does sound fantastic - I really enjoyed the Northumberland 100 so I bet this will be just as good - maybe your right, perhaps whilst I am in this frame of mind, doing some of the route blind without reccying might inject some more interest on the main event so I won't be as worried about the 2nd night scenario?
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 26th Oct 2018, 16:22
Local Group: Lakeland
I have always believed that completing a Hundred is at least as much down to mental attitude as physical ability. To turn your question around we all remember the horrible conditions of the Valleys Hundred. I had a torrid time with chafed legs and took around 6 hours longer than any of the other Hundreds I did, but there was no chance of me retiring. The reason? It was my tenth and I was determined to complete 10 out of 10 and get that little round badge!
Health problems since mean that I haven't done another one. I have walked round 75 miles of the Hadrian Hundred so far with Northumbria Group on their social walks round the route. The route is terrific (I would say that as I am on the organising committee) but I cannot get my head round doing the whole lot in one go. Part of this is like you, having nothing to prove to myself. Part is also knowing that going into a second night is highly probable - lots of people are happy to do this but it would take a lot to persuade myself that I might enjoy that.
One suggestion is to restrict your recce to the parts you expect to walk during the night. For me that meant that around 75% or so of the route was seen for the first time on the event, which made it much more interesting.
See you in Hexham in May?
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Fri 26th Oct 2018, 8:27
Local Group: Marches
Has anyone else who have previously enjoyed 100's ever had a period in their life where they are struggling to get their heads around doing the 100 again? For a number of years the 100 dominated by life and when I got my '10 100's badge' I was all set for another 10 but then the subsequent 2 100's I really struggled and only made it to c70mls. I put this down to lack of time to train etc but part of it is in my head too as I just seem to lose all power and motivation after the first night. Part of it is a mental block as I was lucky enough to only go through a second night twice but when I start to slow down after the first night and the realization of a 2nd night on the moors hits home I just can't seem to stomach the thought and that really affects my mental strength and will power. It never used to which is why I am finding this all a bit odd. Maybe it's because I have my 10 badge so feel deep down I've got nothing else to prove? I generally reccy the routes in April and find that I enjoy the reccy more than the actual event so I am wondering whether, until I get over this mental block, just to reccy the route but not enter the main event? I didn't do the Kent 100 this year or reccy it but enjoyed the Wye Forest 50 so it isn't as if I don't enjoy walking long distances anymore.....has anyone else had this happen?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law