Discussion Forum - Events - Shropshire Way Festival 80k

Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Mon 10th Sep 2018, 14:53
Local Group: Marches
for whould read should!
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Mon 10th Sep 2018, 14:52
Local Group: Marches
As new "route champion" of the part of the Shropshire Way from Bury Ditches to Craven Arms I am happy to announce that I have put up some more waymarks on the section and you whould not find the navigating over Hopsay as challenging as last year
Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Mon 10th Sep 2018, 8:24
Local Group: Thames Valley
I did the route in July, after the original event was cancelled in March due to forecast "Beast from the East" blizzards. I also did a couple of the hills on the morning of the day of cancellation, having already arrived. It was rather an experience in rapidly icing surfaces and fierce winds on Pole Bank. Apparently blizzards and deep snowdrifts did materialise later on. Not quite the conditions in July:

Photos from SW50 in July

For the event, the organisers had arranged parking in Craven Arms quite near the Discovery Centre.
If you book a B&B and want breakfast, it is worth checking that they actually provide it: mine near Much Wenlock did not.

Re. the route, the organisers describe the last section from Hopesay Hill in terms suggesting it is easy but I would say (in a night section) it was not straightforward due to the lack of obvious paths together with rough pitted ground. The first section before the Shropshire Way proper, at least before Wenlock Edge, would have been worth a recce as the route description was not very detailed. Otherwise navigation was not really problematic as it was a case of following the Shropshire Way signs but a few CBs would have been helpful e.g. on the ascent of Linley Hill.
Author: Kevin Pennell
Posted: Sat 8th Sep 2018, 21:08
Local Group: South Wales
Anyone complete this last year? Looking to book for 2019. Any advice on parking, accommodation, etc. I will probably drive up from Pontypridd on day of walk. However after 50 miles and approx. 20 hrs walking I doubt I will want to drive back.
Cheers for any advice, hints, tips and guidance.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law