Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Hebridean Way

Author: Neil Hikerdoc
Posted: Tue 7th May 2019, 10:38
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I completed the Hebridean Way on 25/04/2019 from Vatersay to Stornoway, wild camping for the majority of the way. I'd be happy to share my experiences with anyone who is intending to walk the route. I can provide information, that I hope will be useful, regarding transport; places to stay; wild camping spots (mostly with OS coordinates); tips on where and how you might see Golden Eagle, Otter and other wildlife. Also resupply points (not many!), hostels and kit choices. I'd be happy to comment on navigation issues (generally not a problem - it's well waymarked); walking through peat bogs with an emphasis on timing (it's not a great idea to be entering some of the vast bogs of the Uists towards the end of the day's walking). Also access to mains power for charging your devices, tent selection and additional tips. Oddly enough, I think one of the most critical pieces of kit other than my "bomb-proof" Hilleberg AKTO, was 4 MSR sand/snow pegs. These are BIG pegs that anchor well in sand and also very soft sphagnum moss. At 25g each they aren't too heavy either. When the wind really gets going up there (as it does almost constantly!), it's nice to know your tent is well anchored, particularly as there is next to no cover from any trees, walls, or other shelter, apart from sand dunes.
It was a fantastic trip and I enjoyed enormously the sense of walking through one of the last great unspoilt wilderness lands on the planet. It really is on the edge of Europe. I met only one other backpacker walking the route and two others walking with day packs between booked accommodation and transported luggage. I can only comment on backpacking and wildcamping, and cannot comment much on accommodation options, but if I can be of assistance, I'd be happy to help.
Author: Stuart Dodson
Posted: Tue 12th Jun 2018, 16:18
Local Group: Lincolnshire
I recently walked the Way in ten days. I live in Lincolnshire so drove to Glasgow and got flights to Barra and return flight from Stornaway. Saw my first Otter. I wild camped went to a couple of excellent hostels. I also stayed overnight in three expensive hotels as much to get two good meals as shops are not available very often or on the route. Rain a couple of days and strong winds at times.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law