Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The 2nd Pumlumon Challenge Event (23rd September)

Author: Carole Elizabeth Engel
Posted: Mon 2nd Oct 2006, 0:44
Local Group: Calderdale
A wonderful walk which would appeal to anyone who likes the wilderness, a good climb and excellent views. Actually there was very little rough walking and the majority of the route followed paths, as opposed to horrible, wide stoney tracks and roads which seem to appear too frequently these days on lots of events. A proper walk, visiting four of the five Nuttalls on the Pumlumon range - hill five being easy to bag (with a short detour) for all keen Nutters! A favourite for me too and well worth the three and a half hour journey to get there.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Thu 28th Sep 2006, 17:44
Local Group: Marches
This must take the prize for the least road walking on any challenge walk. We crossed a couple of very minor and narrow roads and were immediately off into the hills again. My only (very minor) suggestion for improvement is for a spot of variation in the diet. Bananas and tofee waffles were very welcome at checkpoint 1 - at the last checkpoint they were beginning to lose their appeal. I agree with Bill in hoping this event continuesin the future - it is a real classic.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 25th Sep 2006, 21:25
Local Group: Mid Wales
It was a good day out in perfect conditions. Pleased you enjoyed our countryside, it's not bad is it. Pumlumon is one of my training runs from home, sometimes do it at night in the winter (on good nights only !) spectacular views of the Cambrian coast.
I'm pleased for the organisers that it was a success, they've put a lot of work into it since last year; it is organised to try and promote the area for tourism etc. so great to have good numbers turn up and some positive feedback for them.
Grotty day for me, pulled my calf muscle about 1 mile from the start, but hobbled round on 'profen with a friend. I enjoyed everything except the pain.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Mon 25th Sep 2006, 14:05
Local Group: South Wales
This event is only in it's second year, but has already becomes one of my favourites. I hope that the organisors can be persuaded to continue with this one. It was well attended ( I think about 125 walkers and 25 runners).

We were blessed with glorious warm weather with just enough breeze to help with cooling on the stiff climbs. This year the route had been slightly modified to include visiting the source of the river Severn and also including a nice additional hill near to the end of the walk. The local and distant views of mid-wales were magnificent from the tops.

The event is quite challenging with repect to climbs and negotiation of rough ground and would certainly require good navigation skills in misty conditions.

Many thanks to the organisors.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law