Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - PENNINE BRIDLEWAY ITINERARIES

Author: Peter J Smith
Posted: Sun 7th Jan 2018, 11:05
Local Group: London
Very many thanks to both of you.
I am not planning to skip any sections of this trail, but do not wish to repeat those sections I have already walked (Charlesworth-Diggle and the Settle Loop). Equally, coming from down south, day trips are out of the question.
All further suggestions will be gratefully received.
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 6th Jan 2018, 22:07
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Whether a section of route is worth doing is always a matter of taste, but I enjoyed most of the section referred to.
There is now a proper walkers route to the west of Glossop via Broadbottom and Hollingworth.
There are bits which are not all that good but that applies to most LDPs
It also depends l as to whether you are planning to register the route on the trails register.
I did most of this section in day trips from Bradford and it could also be done in day trips from Manchester. Saves carrying stuff.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sat 6th Jan 2018, 16:26
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Peter

It's been some years since I did the PBW but I don't think the Oldham-Rochdale-Littleborough section, which includes Glossop (unfinished there), will be much more interesting. As you're already omitting part of it I'd suggest lengthening your skipped section from Charlesworth to Littleborough (both are near or on train-lines), joining the Mary Towneley Loop (MTL) at Summit. The MTL is definitely worth doing, and since you'd have to travel from Littleborough to rejoin the PBW anyway, you could do the shorter anti-clockwise 'half' of the MTL from Summit to just north of Hurstwood Reservoir (the whole MTL is 47 miles).

The Settle Loop is 10 easy but scenic miles in the Dales and is also worth doing if you have time. The walk from Kirkby Stephen station to the town (there's a new bit which omits much of the main road) is a relatively dull 5 miles and back, so I'd suggest swapping it for the Settle Loop. If you do, take the shortcut from near Black's Plantation to go along Attermire Scar (don't drop steeply down into Settle unless you need to), the latter being one of the finest walks (not a bridleway) in the country IMO - and it can include Victoria Cave. You can rejoin the PBW at Lower Winskill via a path down from the ladder-stile below Jubilee Cave - it saves going down to Langcliffe, and shortens the Settle Loop even further.

After Settle the PBW passes both Dent Station (not Dent village!) and Garsdale Stations, so you could make use of the Settle-Carlisle for overnights before finishing at Kirkby Stephen station. Before Settle are Earby (YHA may re-open this year) and Barnoldswick, then Gargrave and Long Preston (the latter two also have stations).

The Irregulars Group have been doing the PBW in stages and embark on the MTL in late January, so may have up to date info on it and the earlier stretches of the route.

Iain.
Posted: Sat 6th Jan 2018, 12:21
Before anyone tells me, 7-8 days to exclude the Settle and Mary Townley loops.
Thanks
Posted: Sat 6th Jan 2018, 12:16
Would members who have completed this path from/to Kirkby Stephen please suggest itineraries for an 7 or 8 day completion.
I am thinking to not walk the Charlesworth-Diggle section since I have walked this before.
Many thanks
Peter

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law